• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera trap pictures (1 Viewer)

Thanks for sharing - what a great group of photos! I love the picture of the two-toed sloth on the ground with its young. My parents have a wildlife "trap" camera in their backyard and been able to catch photos of bobcats, black bears and deer!

Right way to do this - a separate competition. The pix are great but its a different business from getting yourself in position to push the button on something or reacting in an instant to a developing incident.

John

Right way to do this - a separate competition. The pix are great but its a different business from getting yourself in position to push the button on something or reacting in an instant to a developing incident.

John

Agree John, it is a totally different discipline and quite rightly, should be judged separately.

But to be good at this, unless you just get extremely lucky, also requires an good understanding of the target animals and their local ecology to be in anyway successful.

I thought these pictures were by-products of research? You know, of 1000s of random cr*p technical pictures, occassional one comes out sharp and good?

If people are using camera traps to primarily get publication-quality pictures, please correct me.

Some are clearly part of ongoing scientific research but I suspect not all of those chosen are.
With these cameras now being readily available and relatively cheap, I would imagine that more will get into this. I shall certainly be taking one with me whilst on tours next year, you never know, maybe I'll get lucky.

Last edited:
... also requires an good understanding of the target animals and their local ecology to be in anyway successful.

I'd agree. I don't even have one, but just considering the idea has had me watching my wood over the last days with a different eye, considering the possibilities and potentials. Identified a few key spots that I reckon will give a few rewards. All I need now is the camera ...hmmm, anyone out there fancy a 'Let's give our dosh to Jos' campaign :-O

I'd agree. I don't even have one, but just considering the idea has had me watching my wood over the last days with a different eye, considering the possibilities and potentials. Identified a few key spots that I reckon will give a few rewards. All I need now is the camera ...hmmm, anyone out there fancy a 'Let's give our dosh to Jos' campaign :-O

Ah see the trouble now begins, where to put it! Do you set it somewhere and leave it for only one night? Do you leave it out for a few days and wait to try somewhere else? Do you bait? What way do you point it down the track (head or bum shots)? Do you want comical videos of mice on an icy log or badgers drinking at the pond? Too many decisions!

There is only one solution. Get two. ;)

I agree too, camera traps are definitely not a case of stick em out and fingers crossed. To get the best shots you need to do a fair bit of work before even putting the camera out, knowing the tracks, signs and habits of the creatures you're after is crucial.

No question on that one for me, should I get one, I'll leave it a week at a time. Location, a small footbridge, key paths, beaver runs, the area around feeding station, etc.

I said that too, I don't though, can't wait that long. Or I get paranoid depending on where it is, I guess you won't have that problem.

Still eternally jealous of your beavers... I might weep when you post videos of them!

Using one to pinpoint places to stakeout, yes, but otherwise I foresee nothing but grief as you actually manage to grip yourselves off! Don't forget to pad the walls before you bang your heads against them.

John

Using one to pinpoint places to stakeout, yes, but otherwise I foresee nothing but grief as you actually manage to grip yourselves off!

My main desire is to see what is actually lurking on my land at night, and what things are up to. Though should a Lynx stumble by, I'll be mighty impressed and gripped ;)

Wildlife camera traps have been very useful here, managing a rural property with numerous locally listed threatened or endangered species of birds, plants & mammals.
Not only detecting feral cats (a threat to many of the bird species & unidentified Pseudomys mouse here), but feral people too!
I discovered my absentee landholder neighbour was illegally stocking our Wildlife Refuge with his cattle! He didn't smile for the camera at the time, or when I told him.
He eventually introduced himself to us for the first time, six years after we moved here!
No livestock here any more, and certainly no business being undertaken with the neighbours.
So don't write off the Lynx, Jos, you never know what surprises you'll find!

and North East Asia, I've seen them in mountain forest in Hebei, China.

Wow, that's infinitely more satisfying than a zoo creature!

Back to the camera traps, I got my dad one last year for Christmas. It's still in its box gathering dust!

I'm sure he has Badgers using his garden (along with Red Fox, Roe Deer etc). Looks like I'll have to set it up myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back