• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Horizon 8115 Tripod - Best Head Replacement (1 Viewer)

BadgerGirl

Hi there
I have this tripod & I'm not a fan of its quick release plate, or frankly its head. I can't see that any other quick release plate base is going to fit it as it has a non standard (4 screw) mounting screw setup so...
Have any of you got this tripod & replaced either the head or quick release plate?

Any head replacement suggestions please for heads suitable for a spotting scope weighing 1.6kgs.

Last edited:
I didn't know the head could be replaced on Horizon tripods. Interesting.
Yeah I know that over on the stargazers forum they have mentioned it in passing. Also I dismantled it the other day it has a standard 1/4 screw.

Any suggestions on what head to go for?

A Manfrotto 700RC2 should fulfil your requirements with a small scope; reasonably cheap, simple to operate & lightweight but some have expressed QC issues so perhaps try before you buy? I have no problems with a Leica APO Televid 62 on this head - works like a dream!

Have a look at the Kingjoy heads on ebay. It's a direct ripoff of the Manfrotto but everything as good at 1/3 price. Plus it takes the Manfrotto plate so I got 3 one for scope 1 for telephoto lens and one for camera.

Hi,

I am a fan of the Mafrotto 500AH for my 1.6kg scope - mainly because it is more stable than the 128RC or 700RC2. Also it allows to vary the position of the scope so it can be properly balanced, which I think necessary. One can even get an extra long plate if that is needed for a heavy camera.

The Kingjoy video/birdwatching heads look nice on the site but I haven't used them and thus cannot really comment.

Joachim

A Manfrotto 700RC2 should fulfil your requirements with a small scope; reasonably cheap, simple to operate & lightweight but some have expressed QC issues so perhaps try before you buy? I have no problems with a Leica APO Televid 62 on this head - works like a dream!

Have a look at the Kingjoy heads on ebay. It's a direct ripoff of the Manfrotto but everything as good at 1/3 price. Plus it takes the Manfrotto plate so I got 3 one for scope 1 for telephoto lens and one for camera.

Hi,

I am a fan of the Mafrotto 500AH for my 1.6kg scope - mainly because it is more stable than the 128RC or 700RC2. Also it allows to vary the position of the scope so it can be properly balanced, which I think necessary. One can even get an extra long plate if that is needed for a heavy camera.

The Kingjoy video/birdwatching heads look nice on the site but I haven't used them and thus cannot really comment.

Joachim
Genuinely appreciate these I'll be looking through all of them today. Also I'd much prefer a head without an integral quick release plate. I want the freedom to choose my own & change it if I want.
I'm hoping to be prepared with a list of *possibles* in time for the black Friday sale on Amazon two days from now (of course I also want a Panasonic Mirrorless G80)
Feel free to add more ideas. I'll be popping back regularly to see

Extra information I'm using the tripod for my bridge camera as well now & hopefully be upgrading to a mirrorless with a telephoto lens in the next year. The tripod I love the, head is a nightmare.

Last edited:
I'm liking the Kingjoy very much indeed but it doesn't look like I can remove the QR base plate to replace it. Unless anyone knows differently. ....

And I've discovered that every dratted tripod head on the market now has an integral QR plate.....arghhhhh! That did not used to be the case 10 yrs ago.
As I'm not willing to attach a QR base plate to the top plate of the tripod's integral QR System to get the QR system I want. I'm now looking for any half decent pan & tilt/video head that doesn't have a QR base plate or has one that can be removed.
This chap understands
"Are QR systems getting mandatory on every tripod head?"
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4198326

Last edited:
I'm liking the Kingjoy very much indeed but it doesn't look like I can remove the QR base plate to replace it. Unless anyone knows differently. ....

And I've discovered that every dratted tripod head on the market now has an integral QR plate.....arghhhhh! That did not used to be the case 10 yrs ago.
As I'm not willing to attach a QR base plate to the top plate of the tripod's integral QR System to get the QR system I want. I'm now looking for any half decent pan & tilt/video head that doesn't have a QR base plate or has one that can be removed.
This chap understands
"Are QR systems getting mandatory on every tripod head?"
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4198326

Not sure what you mean. The qr plate is identical to the Manfrotto
The Quick Release Plate is Compatible with for Manfrotto heads that use the RC5 quick release system (501, 503 & 701 NG Heads).

Not sure what you mean. The qr plate is identical to the Manfrotto
The Quick Release Plate is Compatible with for Manfrotto heads that use the RC5 quick release system (501, 503 & 701 NG Heads).
I don't want to use a QR system picked for me by the manufacturer I want the freedom to have none at all or one of my choosing. Doesn't make any difference if it is Manfrotto compatible or not.
Berlebach has a pan head without QR plate but it's not priced like the Kingjoy:

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=102&sprache=english

HTH

Cheers, Pete

This version of the Manfrotto 128 is still available.

https://www.manfrotto.us/micro-fluid-two-way-video-head

It's cheap, doesn't have a built in QR plate and in my experience is quite stable, certainly the most stable of the 128 variants.

Thanks both of you
That Manfrotto looks good I'll have to see if it is available here in the UK.

The other one that I've come across is the Slik Master Classic but I can't find videos to see it in action & think I may not be able to lock position easily or at all across the horizontal plane.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back