• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for bird and plant pictures (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

I need a camera for bird pictures and detailed plant pictures ( emphasis orchids and ferns ).
Lots of pictures ( have only camcorder and anlaog camera Canon EOS 300 with two zooms 18 - 75, 75 - 300 ) I made in rainforests.
Use tripod often is not possible, because the birds do not wait.
Especially plants on ground ( like small ferns ) in rainforest, demand making pictures under very hard light conditions.
High moisture and heavy rainfall are other hard conditions.

Which camera is recommended for excellent amateur pictures ?
Which objectivs are needed ?
( it said cameras like Nikon D 80, need high level objectivs )

Best regards
Dieter

Most if not all of the DLSR bodies would be fine, its the lenses that will make the difference with what you want to do. To completely different distances, yes a D80 would be fine for a body. I won't give specific lense choices as I only have a nikkor AF-S VR 18-55mm and am not knowledgeable enough for giving advice on lenses.

Have you looked at Olympus E3 with 50mm f2 lens.Sharp fast and water-proof.I would also suggest a good monopod which could double as a walking aid

Camera

Hello,

thank You for the advices.
The picture with D 300 looks excellent.
I want to make bird and plant pictures.
Plant pictures like
http://cookislands.bishopmuseum.org/results.asp?ebg=blechnum&search=true

Especially ferns and orchids can be in very poor light conditions ( rainforest, mountain fog forest ).
For defining ferns it is important to see detailed leave pattern and detailed spores.

I thought about D80, D200 and D300 ?
In one report was written the light measurement of D80 should be rather poor ?

Best regards
Dieter

You will need a powerful flash and a diffuser to take good photos of plants. The built-in flashes on cameras are too narrow angle and too weak and illuminate unevenly when taking wide angle or close photos, and photos of wet plants show too much reflection from a bare flash, obscuring textures and detail. I use the 18-135 kit lens on my D80, or occasionally my Sigma 10-20mm lens. However, I'd really like to have an image stabilized 18-200mm lens...as close focusing as possible.

I do lots of plant photos: http://www.pbase.com/bkrownd/hawaiian_plants

Last edited:
Albatross,

For top quality plant images, I'd go for a Canon 5D, reasonably priced at the moment, it's sharper than a D3 (just) and cheaper. Certainly agree with bk on a diffuser. Bird wise, if you can get close enough then the images are going to be very good, it's a tad slow though. Nikon make a cracking 105mm VR, which doesn't help you for Canon. Otherwise for plant images check-out the new Fuji 'bridge' camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back