• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best lens for Birds in Flight ? (1 Viewer)

Bsmooth

Bruce
I know its pretty much up to the individual, but what in your opinion is the best lens for handholding and why.
I have a 100-400V2 but still seem to struggle with shooting smaller birds, and sometimes just getting the initial Lock-On with my 1DMKIV.

I know its pretty much up to the individual, but what in your opinion is the best lens for handholding and why.
I have a 100-400V2 but still seem to struggle with shooting smaller birds, and sometimes just getting the initial Lock-On with my 1DMKIV.

Get 300/f2.8 lens...

but first check your AF settings,
there are a lot of tweeks that might affect things.
google to find out what others use in terms of settings for BIF.

Last edited:
You don't state a price so I would think the 500f4mkII or 400 f4 Do mkII both take the 1.4tc very well and have good reach with f4 it also gives 700mm f5.6 reach and 560mm f5.6 reach.

Rob

I was thinking about the 300, as it can take a 1.4 or 2 pretty well. The 500 seems like a viable option as well, and there only about a pound different.
Plus the 300 is slightly faster as well, and cheaper.
Just wondering how hand holdable a 96 Oz lens really is.

My girlfriend prefers a compact f/4.5-5.6 70-300mm lens over a f/2.8 70-200mm, as one example. I have to say the f/2.8 Nikkor was a lovely piece of gear we borrowed, but even at half the going price (which is what I was offered to keep it), we turned it down.

The problem she had was weight, and when I hefted it I'd have to agree. The constant aperture was so heavy it made it hard to swing-up and chase a bird in flight; just an issue of starting momentum and holding it up chasing a bird and doing this over-and-over again over say 1–2 hours. There was also an issue of fatigue on a long outing. There is a reason that beastie had a tripod-mounting collar.

So a case of "whichever lens you will use more vs. which stays in the bag" makes the compact lens the "better" choice in this case.

For longer-range photos, that's up to me and the superzoom. My photos aren't as pretty, but I don't need a rig that looks like I'm contemplating a long-range assassination. |:p|

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back