• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help! Canon eos 1300d (1 Viewer)

Could you give us an idea of your budget and the type of situations you see yourself working in,whilst camera body is relevant lenses are more important and depending on what you want to do these could be a costly addition.

The reason i ask is if your budget is limited you may be better off with one of with a bridge cameras with a similar size sensor to the Canon.

Hi there mike well I don't really want to break the bank but my budget is probably about 700 what size lens would you recommend I will mainly be using it out in the field not so much setting up near bird feeders
Thanks for the help
Chris

If your young strong and fit i would suggest you consider pushing your budget to a secondhand Sigma or Tamron 150-600 to go with the body,if you buy shorter there is a good chance you will want to change it after the first 6 months IMO.

Canon 400 f5.6 is another good option and one of best all round birding lenses. Depends on how much a 2nd hand one would cost though if you went down that line.

I would suggest that you get the lens first then buy a camera body with what you have left.

No camera is better than the lens will allow and, in the wildlife/birding game, the lens is the expensive bit! As others have suggested the 150-600mm lenses from Sigma and Tamron are well worth a look, especially used ones, as they offer serious reach on the cheap. The Canon 400 F5.6 L is another good buy these days, shorter than the Tamron and Sigma, but better built, lighter and sharper.

As to the camera? Anything from the 40D onward will do a decent job. There are certainly better cameras out there than the 40D! But better to have a good lens and a cheap camera than the other way around!

You will certainly find that if you broaden your budget a bit and stick to second hand gear then there will be many more options for you.

Happy choosing.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back