• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta vs Nikon (1 Viewer)

Hi, I would like to buy a new binocular, but i dont know, which one to choose.
My favourites are mainly two

Meopta Meostar 10x42 B1 HD
Nikon Monarch HG 10x42
(Kahles Helio 10x42 - member of Swarovski)

I can a discount on Meopta -25% from usual price.
Please, give me some advice, which one would you choose in my place. Somebody tell me Nikon (121m/1000m, but not HD glass), somebody Meopta (Flouride glass, but 110m/1000m).

Thanks a lot

Allbinos optics review forum, has reviewed and ranked these models, and you may want
to check that out.

I own the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 and I really like it. It is nice and bright, lighter in weight than
some of the comparable models, and has a nice big sweet spot.

Good luck with you search, it always good to try before you buy if you can.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

thanx a lot for your experience with Monarch HG 10x42. I cant still decide. Do you have any experience (or heard something) with Meopta? As i said, i could have discount from final usual price -25% and im thinking, if is worth it and if use the offer.
One man from a local shop here in Prague told me about that Nikon, it should be better a bit than Meopta, but Meopta give me 30years waranty a and that discount. Nikon provides 10years and costs +25%, the price is same like Meopta, so thats why im so undecisive. Shops in Prague dont have both binos in same shop to compare in real in the same time ...
But maybe, thanks to your recommendation will win that Nikon.

Thank you and eventually others

The B1 generation of Meopta binos was designed mainly with hunters in mind and so they tend to have 'stiff' focusers because many hunters like to focus their binos on a place where deer or boar are expected to appear and they do this in good light near the end of the day and don't want to refocus their binos as the day gets darker. The stiff focus helps to prevent accidental movement of the focus wheel. There is some variation from unit to unit so you can find units that have a more freely-turning focus. But Meopta binos are really very very nice indeed.

If you use your binos for birding and especially for very fast moving things like dragonflies and butterflies then the Nikon has the advantage of a more freely moving focus and is an excellent instrument. If you want a bino now then please do your very best to try both of these binos out.

BUT: next year is Meopta's 85th anniversary and it might be a good idea to wait to see if they are launching new product. The current B1 binos have been around for a long time and maybe a new B2 family will arrive next year.

Lee

Thank you Lee,

one shop has Meopta and another (maybe) Nikon, but 8x42, 10x42 offers on order. Most of manufactured Meoptas go to the USA, so here they are a bit overprised, Ive heard from Czech forum.
If i waited for B2, maybe Meopta would increase the price, but if not, it would be worth to wait.
I will probably go to try both and hope it will be comparable when not at one time together ...
A local club for saving birds offers discount on well-known sponsor that discount -25% on Meopta, if I join them and will save and observe birds with them. And they recommend just B1 HD 10x42 for birding, so I dont know now ... Meopta supports this club.
And that man from shop, who can order both said "nikon is better" ... To explain why I'm so indecisive.

Thank you Lee, I will think about it
And sorry for my bad English, I have been learning for almost 10 years and its almost the same like before :-(

Your English is very good my friend.
I know no Czech at all!

It is a little bit crazy for the dealer to say Nikon is better. The question is: what is it better at? Optically I would bet that the Meopta is at least as good, but the Nikon is nice and has an easier focuser. You need to think about how you want to use the bino.

If you like birding in forests then an 8x might be better, and you need to be sure you can hold a 10x steady not only in normal birding but also if it is windy.

Good luck with your choice.

Lee

Hi Boruvka,

While the Nikon does have several appealing features that others have pointed out, in several direct comparison with several more expensive binoculars, including the Meopta Meostar HD 10x42, I found it a little disappointing on sharpness. From forum comments most seem quite content with it's optical performance, but not everyone agrees. Everybody's eyes differ and we really cannot predict how it would work for you. It's something you should ideally check for yourself if you possibly can.

David

boruvka.kamcatska,
I have investigated a number of Meopta binoculars and they are of excellent quality, you can find some of my reports on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, go to "verrekijkers"and from there to Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken"and there is a whole list of tests of different brands"among others from Meopta binoculars.
Considering the choice you have: Meopta or Nikon, I personally would not hesitate one moment considering that you live in the Czech republic and the Meoptas are made in Prerov in your country, so if anything might go wrong you do not have to go far with questions. Do not forget that Meopta makes excelllent quality optics and it is of such good quality, that some binocular/telescope makers in Europe had some of their products or parts of them made by Meopta eg Leica and Zeiss.
Another argument to investigate the level of service provided. In our country Nikon does not have a good reputation in that field.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you Lee.

That dealer told me, that the Nikon HG is better in optic quality.
It can be said that better binoculars can be found at a better price and mentioned Nikon Monarch HG.
Meopta is cheaper with discount and although is for a long time on the market, this is one of the best bino for this price.
My recent bino is Vanguard 10x42 and sometimes i feel shaken picture, but just sometimes. Due to 10x magnification i can see more detail and I seldom watch in sunset. Birds who I observe are in mostly calm on tree for example, I seldom observe moving birds or animals. And I use my bino for touristic use, too. Thats why I chose 10x42, not 8x42.
When you consider my use, do you think 8x42 would be more suitable for my needs? :-/
When I was a child, we had Hanimex 10x50 and it was wonderful (for a child observation, of course :)).
So I bought with the same magnification, but lither version 42mm.
I can buy 8x just Nikon Monarch HG, because Meopta sells just 10x42 with HD fluoride glass, 8x42 is sold without HD, but I could have discount -25% on it too :-/

Thanks a lot

Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you. Meopta is manufactured in Přerov in our country and has 30years waranty (Nikon 10) and that is what I like and there is no problem to use warranty. I would like to buy my bino for decades, it is very expensive investition.
And you have right, Meopta is recommended by the czech society for bird observing and above that provides me -25% discount and it lasts just till Christmas. I was confused by that dealer, who clearly recommend me Nikon and preffered to Meopta (worse ratio of performance/price).

Firstly I was decided for Meopta, but after that ...

Thanks again

My choice would definitely be the Meopta and if you can hold 10x steady and you like this magnification then go for it. Of course it would be good to compare the Meopta 8x and 10x to be sure.

As Typo says, this is a very personal choice but I agree with Gijs that Meoptas are top quality binos. I have a Meopta B1 8x32 MeoStar as well as 32mm from Zeiss, Kowa and others and I have a big respect for the Meopta.

Good luck.

Lee

BORUVKA.KAMCATSKA,
Do not listen to the dealer, but decide yourself on the basis of your own observations and arguments.
If you receive a discount of 25% and a 30 year warranty I would not hesitate one moment. You have to decide though what you might like best: 10x42 (not my personal choice, because it is more difficult to hold steady as an 8x42) 8x42 or 7x42 .
Recently I have used quite frequently the Meopta 7x42 and I like it a lot becuase of its brighness, rock steady image and good resolution. But that is really a personal choice, since there are also very good arguments for an 8x42.
My advice would be: try them before you buy them, decide which one you like best and ignore the advice of the dealer since you have to work with it and that will most likely be for quite a few years.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks a lot to all.
I have possibility to try all these Meoptas before buying

MeoStar B1 10*42 HD
MeoStar B1 8*42
MeoStar B1 10*50
MeoStar B1 8*32

and compare it together (not with Nikon) and for every of them I can get that discount. So I will choose (due to arguments higher) Meopta brand.

Thanks a lot you all again for pros and arguments

Pavel

P.S. Borůvka kamčatská is just a nick name and means bush (lat.) Lonicera caerulea var. kamtschatica which is similar to blueberry (czech Borůvka) and comes from Kamchatka :)

Thanks a lot to all.
I have possibility to try all these Meoptas before buying

MeoStar B1 10*42 HD
MeoStar B1 8*42
MeoStar B1 10*50
MeoStar B1 8*32

and compare it together (not with Nikon) and for every of them I can get that discount. So I will choose (due to arguments higher) Meopta brand.

Thanks a lot you all again for pros and arguments

Pavel

P.S. Borůvka kamčatská is just a nick name and means bush (lat.) Lonicera caerulea var. kamtschatica which is similar to blueberry (czech Borůvka) and comes from Kamchatka :)

Pavel, thanks for explaining your Bird Forum username: its a good one. Please come back and tell us what you chose.

Hodně štěstí

Lee

Hi all, I am back again :)
I would like a last advice. I have an oportunity to buy with that sale Meostar B1 12x50 HD and I would like to ask, if is posible to hold steady it, when is 50 instead of 42mm. Magnifition is 12x. More mm, more light I though.
But the best way is to try it in their office from a window, so I gonna do. I'm just asking for your opinion before that.

Thanks a lot

Pavel

Pavel,

You might have seen my report on the Meostar HD 12x50.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=333798

I thought it was an extremely impressive binocular, the best in the Meostar range, but I would probably not recommended it as your main binocular. It's a big and quite heavy, and while I could hold it quite steady for short periods, I would suggest a monopod or tripod for prolongued use. It was most useful when used at 30m or more as the relatively narrow view made it frequently quite slow to locate birds at short range. However when you did, the view was amazing. I found the HD 10x42 very nearly as good and rather more practical for general use.

If you are considering using the 12x50 mostly from a static position with some kind of support, I personally feel that there is probably nothing on the market that would beat it. It is optically good enough to boost the magnification a further two fold if light levels allow.

David

Hi,

Thanks for your link, you have posted. I have read it and the best way for me is probably own my present Vanguard 10x42 and buy 12x50 HD yet, but to try it before buying. If I bougt 10x42 HD, I would sell my present binocular and if I buy 12x50, I would have both. Maybe this is the best way, how to solve this dilema. If I had bought vanguard 8x42 ...

PAVEL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back