• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What a Wind. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
Set of this morning, it was nice bright sunny, a tad cool but pleasent. got to Martin-Mere, and boy it was blowing a gale. so quick dash for the hides. into Raines hide.

good numbers of ,

Whooper swans.

Wigeon.

Teal.

Pochard.

BEST 2 DUCKS.

Scaup.

Ferruginous. Both these ducks seen on the Mere.

Raptor.

peregrine.

Now on to Marshside RSPB at southport.

High tide 12-06.

gulls to many to count. Mostley Blackheaded, some lesser black backed.
Ducks.
4. Tuffted.

8. pintail. they really are a lovely looking duck. very proud, if that dosent sound daft.

12. Blacktailed God-wits.

Raptors.
1. Kestrel.

2. Short-eared owls.

1. Barnowl.

The wind along the sea wall was very strong, and rather coooold. but all in all a very enjoyable day.
Just going back to the gulls, a birder in nells hide pointed out to a few of us a second-winter med gull. :t:
bert.

Jane Turner said:
What a wind indeed - just lost the roof off my shed and the bedroom window

You must be having the wind we had whilst in Norfolk in the week. You could hardly walk along the path to the beach at Titchwell. Several times I felt as if I was about to be blown off my feet.

I tried to get some photos from the hide but the wind was so bad that the hides were vibrating badly, plus you couldn't open the windows as the wind would have blasted your face.

I did try and get some Pintail & Shoveller shots and one of them depicts how bad it was. The poor Pintail got smashed by some white water as i took the shot and the Shoveller kept getting swamped..

Attachments

• Pintail 0164.jpg
    Pintail 0164.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Shoveller 0216.jpg
    Shoveller 0216.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 126
Its still howling here.. have the bedroom window secured to the bed! There was hail hitting the far bedroom wall as I did it :)

Very windy too last night we had snow but its melting now but you can har the wind it sounds so rough roll on warm weather

Jane Turner said:
Its still howling here.. have the bedroom window secured to the bed! There was hail hitting the far bedroom wall as I did it :)

And to think I moaned when the garden fence got blown over a a few years back!!!!

Wow, Jane...thought it was rough at St Mary's this morning but certainly nothing like you are getting!
Not a lot about...probably being really sensible and keeping it's head down....twas bitterly cold and we even had a sleet shower for a few minutes...just sunny and v.windy now!
If it's still this windy on Tuesday on my day off I think I'll head to Jesmond Dene and Gosforth Park where it's a bit more sheltered!!!

GILL

You must have had a bit of a lull in the storm at St Mary's it was spectacular at Seaham today

Attachments

• Winter gale.jpg
    Winter gale.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Winter gale2.jpg
    Winter gale2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 97
Some good stuff there Bert, totally agree on the Pintail.

And Yes what a wind indeed !!

Went across Berney Marshes today which probably weren't my best idea ever as there's no cover for miles around, Could only hold the bin's still by leaning on a gatepost & scope was useless, nearly got blown over a couple of times (next to the river - not good)... horizontal rain ... seen several tv aerials blown over in town ... Roll on summer

Ok Dennis...you win! Sea was extremely rough but nothing like as bad as at Seaham.
I'm with Jane though...love being out in the wind...even if it does make birding out to sea a tad awkward at times!

GILL

Woke up this morning to find glass covering my drive way & a window frame smashed in half.
The neighbours had stupidly left an upstairs window open & the wind had blown it off its hinges across their drive way into mine & it landed about 2 foot from my car!!!
If it had hit anybody I reckon it would have been game over!

When we were at South Cave, my mate suggested going to Blacktoft and I told him I was b*****y freezing and I was going home!!

The west of Iceland has had a battering too. The wind lifted a 40-foot steel cargo container at one place yesterday and dumped it on six parked cars. These containers weigh quite a few tonnes! I would have probably hidden behind the container for shelter if I'd been there!

E

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back