• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 or 10x50 Porro? (1 Viewer)

With one caveat that is. Are the Atlas and Zen (with listed FOV's marginally higher than 300 feet) optically superior, despite whatever "flaws" that both may have, to all of the $200 or less 10x42 or 10x50 Porros?

I would think that would depend on what you call optically superior. Porro prism binoculars provide a 3d effect that many individuals find superior. They also tend to produce better apparent centerfield sharpness I believe simply because of the simplicity of the porro prism design.

Having said that many folks argue that roof prisms are inherently more durable and also point out their increased level of waterproofness. Optically I think many of the inexpensive roofs are catching up to the inexpensive porros but aren't quite there yet. The argument that you need to spend 3x the cost of the porro to get an equivalent image quality roof prism binocular may or may not still be true. I think they jury is out on that one.

For what it is worth any of the binoculars being discussed so far are sure to please a majority of the individuals out there.

Thanks Frank as I am trying real hard not to abandon Porros totally. If I could be convinced or even convince myself I would go with the Nikon or even the Bushnell (especially if I learn that the overall viewing and handling is pleasurable).

Do you feel the same way about the Leoupold Cascades Internal Focus 10x42, FOV-wise (at around $230, if available) as they are said to be superb in many ways?

Have come up with more current information about the Bushnell Legend 10x50 and have made a decision to purchase a pair. The reviews from users are generally realistically favorable and some of the weak points touched upon by edz do not seem to greatly detract from its more positive aspects. Hopefully, I will not experience a "lemon" as Buff had experienced. Its features are as good or better than any of the other considered binoculars as are also its specs. At about $120 it sounds like a "good buy" and hopefully a "better view."

I will not be getting my hands on them for a few months as my wife when she is in the states will pick them up for me but in time I will provide feedback about their performance.

Last edited:
As a postscript, in the end I did not buy the Bushnell Legends nor any other Porro.
I think I would have been happy either the Nikon AE 10x50 or the Legends but I was more comfortable, as in peace of mind, in buying the ZRS 10x42. It will suit my needs well and complement more than adequatelythe Zen ED 8x43's.. Thanks to everyone who provided comments/suggestions as my circuitous binocular journey has finally come to an end.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back