• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you compare the 8x30 Conquests with the Jena's? (1 Viewer)

optiman

Hi. Just a though niggling me: Can you really/possibly compare the Zeiss Conquests: 8x30's with the Zeiss (older East German) Jenoptem's? I'm sure it's a foolish question..as the Conquests are modern roofs to boot. I have a pair of Jena's 8x30. I use 'em for 'kitchen bin's' and find 'em good. Sharp,as sharp can be, considering they're 20 years old! I suppose what i'm trying to say is: how are they overall in the 8x30 porro range? - excluding Nikon EII's as i know there's no competition. But, in relative terms...:t:

Last edited:
The little 8x30 Deltrintem is a sweet glass, a real performer in a pint size package.
There was good reason for Zeiss to produce them for over 50 years. This is still a very workable item today, even though the limited eye relief, lack of waterproofing and older coatings keep it from the first rank.

The little 8x30 Deltrintem is a sweet glass, a real performer in a pint size package.
There was good reason for Zeiss to produce them for over 50 years. This is still a very workable item today, even though the limited eye relief, lack of waterproofing and older coatings keep it from the first rank.

Thanks etudiant,
That's a relief to know! I knew they we're good. But, it's so nice to here other opinions of 'em. You see: I'm one of these fella's who's getting to the 'binoholism' stage, and WANT better even though i know in my heart they're good...(given they're limitations considered).

The Swarovski 8 x 30 Habicht Classic is essentially an updated version of this binocular with modern (and excellent) coatings and full waterproofing. Other than the lack of eye relief for glasses wearers, this is a remarkable binocular and a great illustration of just how good the wide angle porro design really is.

The Swarovski 8 x 30 Habicht Classic is essentially an updated version of this binocular with modern (and excellent) coatings and full waterproofing. Other than the lack of eye relief for glasses wearers, this is a remarkable binocular and a great illustration of just how good the wide angle porro design really is.

Pity though it doesn´t come in rubber armour, that would be particularly excellent and I would have bought one immediately as the eye relief for my glasses would probably be more convenient.

Best regards,

Ronald

I would imagine the modern T coating would smash any older coating into oblivion. My Conquest 8x30 totally destroyed an older decent quality 8x56 night owl from some company who's name I forget but they were well made and had coated glass. The were downright dim next to the conquest.

Take your old one's to a shop and A-B them and see how they do.

I have never used a Conquest, but I have a multi-coated 8X30 CZJ Deltrintem that I like to use occasionally. It is a joy to handle with its light weight and slim prism housings. It has a nice big field of view (8.5° or so), very good sharpness in the center, and is nearly as bright as more modern units. It doesn’t suffer too much when compared to a new 8X32 Vortex Viper. The eye-relief is very short, but of course the Conquest probably doesn’t have enough to use with glasses either. Optically, the only serious problem with the deltrintem is its notorious stray light issues. Of all the binoculars in my collection it has by far the most veiling glare and other strange effects when looking close to a bright light source. It is not very field-worthy as it seems somewhat fragile, the diopter adjustment drifts all over the place, and it is not sealed at all. I don’t worry much about water proofing, but I am worried about dust getting in. So I like having it around, but it can’t compare to a good modern roof-prism or a more robust porro (like the Nikon SE) in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back