• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Subliminal image (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

You know those times when you catch something moving at the periphery of your vision... well today I swear I saw a hirundine... but it went behind houses milliseconds later.. and didn't how again.

I think Jane's point is that it's February, Charles. We don't get hirundines in February.

On a similar note, I swear I saw a tern, briefly, yesterday, but not enough to be certain.

... but (discounting the photo for the moment-- and we don't get the first Barn Swallow here either until the last week of March, but I have seen isolated winterers) we all do this from time to time, see things we think are something but are probably not but we'll never know dammit don't we? I'm still back to: what kind of an observation are you posting, Jane?

Charles, I took it to be a thread commenting on the possible though unlikely arrival in the UK of Hirundines in February - 'a could it really have been a Sand Martin this early?' type query. Wishful thinking and all that.

One or two reports seem to be creeping in. Jane could be right and they are worth watching out for, but she is right to be cautious as definite sightings are of more interest than posted possibles.

I really didn't see the thing.. just got the impression of a hirundine....well actually it was a (Barn) swallow I felt I'd seen... but I never got it into my fovea centralis!

I see from Birdguides that a House Martin was seen at Folkestone this morning. Still, this is the "deep south" ;)

Hi Jane,
Possible LITTLE SWIFT seen going to roost at Southampton University yesterday(though White-rumped not ruled out)....
Harry H

Snow last week & several reports of martins etc this week, what a turnaround eh.

Off at a slightly different angle, does anyone know how long the hirundine migration journey takes ?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back