• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk this weekend - RFI on target birds (1 Viewer)

green_ruk

Hi All

I am planning to hit Norfolk this weekend and am hoping that someone out there can help me with three of my target birds

First, ross's goose. Recent reports seem to be heavily weekend-biased (as you would expect) and I am hoping that lack of reports during weekdays is due to (lack of) observer coverage. I don't have time to drop down to the Broads so I will be focusing on the N Norfolk coastal area. Whin Hill and Holkham seem to be the best chancers - does anyone have directions / Grid Ref for best vantage points at WH please? What is the best strategy for these birds anyway? Wait in the hie at Holkham?

Secondly, short-eared owl. Any guaranteed sites along the coastal strip, please

Lastly, water pipit. I understand that east Bank at Cley is worth a go. Does anyone have any uptodate info on numbers and location (presumably looking east from the EB? but where is best?)

Any assistance much appreciated.

regards

Rob

Ross Goose

mobile......just ask around (or use your pager) when u r up here

wapit.....east of East Bank in Serpentine field but not always present

nowhere 'guaranteed' for SEO but try Burnham Norton in evening....either footpath out to seawall or A149 before first turn off into village if heading west. Look north over fields

Been up that way today. Overheard several conversations about Ross, sorry mate didn't take any notice but plenty of birders about. Shore Lark & Twite at Holkham.

Water Pipit as Tim says; in the marshy field looking east from the east bank between the main road and serpentine. I saw 3 but think up to 12 have been reported

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back