• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All five finches in one hour (1 Viewer)

steveevans

I'm sure many of you have done this, and its not too hard to do if you go to places like "Lynford Arboretum", in Norfolk, but I was jumping for joy after realising I'd seen all five species of British Finch in just one hour.
It's a fantastic place to watch the Hawfinch in and around the paddocks, there are usually Bullfinch and Chaffinch with them. Green & Gold were seen around the gardens of the manor house. Shame it wasn't the five British owls but that day might come yet!

STEVE

Err.. Brambling, Linnet, Twite. Guess these don't have Finch in the title, is that it Steve?

Getting all 9 (only counting one Redpoll) in one locale must be a challenge.

Certainly fancy the Hawfinch. Last year I managed Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Siskin and Brambling on my birdtable all at once, followed by a Bullfinch within two hours.

Andy Bright said:
Certainly fancy the Hawfinch. Last year I managed Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Siskin and Brambling on my birdtable all at once, followed by a Bullfinch within two hours.

Just one on my birdtable would be a start :-(

Saying that i did have a greenfinch last summer, a few fly overs nowadays but it doesn't stop for breakfast or lunch :-(

Does this mean that the Hawfinches are back at Lynford??

I stopped there last weekend and didn't see any and was told by a couple of people that they hadn't been seen for a while....

Hey steveevans....you've pinched both of my names !!!!

Well done with the 5 finches, we're going for 5 owls at the same site tomorrow....fingers crossed.

PS. By the way the 'others' have also MiSSED OUT "Half-inch" :bounce:

StevieEvans. ;)

You are all quite right, my mistake I apologise, but to see the five Finches mentioned in just one hour made me happy. The Hawfinch are still at Lynford Arboretum, I've always found them in the fields/paddocks behind the Manor house, there is a walkway at the side which gives great views. There are a couple of trees in these fields which is where I've always found them.

Good luck with the Owls

steviewol said:
Hey steveevans....you've pinched both of my names !!!!

Well done with the 5 finches, we're going for 5 owls at the same site tomorrow....fingers crossed.

PS. By the way the 'others' have also MiSSED OUT "Half-inch" :bounce:

StevieEvans. ;)

Good luck with the Owls, let us know how you get on, and it's a great name.

All the Best,
STEVE

steveevans said:
The Hawfinch are still at Lynford Arboretum, I've always found them in the fields/paddocks behind the Manor house, there is a walkway at the side which gives great views. There are a couple of trees in these fields which is where I've always found them.

Yeah, that's where me and (being a Saturday!!) about a dozen other birders were looking. Stayed around for an hour or more, during which time a couple of different 'regulars' came along and said that they hadn't been seen for a few weeks, so we all drifted off....

When did you see them (it?)

Hi
The Hawfinch is a difficult bird to 'get' around here restricted to a few key sites, but unfortunately its locally thought to be in decline, but why?

Steve. We Had a late start so didnt try for 5, but on checking an old Little owl location we managed to locate a New Barn Owl Roost !! (PS we didnt see the Little though!)

StevieEvans.

Whew! After just accidentally reading a spam email that leaked through my waterproof, windproof and breathable spam overcoat, I misread this thread.

I thought it read, "All of five inches in an hour"...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back