• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Redpoll: but is it male or female? (1 Viewer)

el_supremo

Amongst the redpolls in and around our yard, which last week numbered
as many as 300, I have occasionally seen one or two which I had
assumed were females. On closer inspection they have a small red
patch on each cheek below the eyes. One of them landed on the feeder
this morning and I got some shots of it. I've uploaded two photos to my website.

The first is a thumbnail of the whole bird.
http://members.shaw.ca/el_supremo/CORE_q1_0403_4898.JPG

The second is a closeup of the head and breast which shows the red patch below the eye. The closeup also shows that there are a few red flecks on the breast as well.
http://members.shaw.ca/el_supremo/CORE_q2_0403_4898.JPG

Is this a female or, perhaps, a young male?
BTW. The red colour isn't a reflection off the bird feeder because
I've seen it when the bird is facing away from the feeder and also
when it's in a tree.

Possible arctic in spring plumage?
No discernable eyestripe, pinkish underparts and smaller looking beak. Only a suggestion though?

Hi Roger,

I think the bill looks fairly normal for a Common Redpoll (culmen looks curved). I'm happy to go along with Pete's ID, as he's obviously seen them very well judging by the photos.

... 'Arctic' is 'Hoary'? Greater covert wingbar isn't broad enough...

PS: oops, just looked at the thread title again.. species is not under discussion. Young male I suppose. Haven't seen one since Regina in about 1976...

I'll just get my coat...

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions folks.
I hadn't considered it being a male Hoary Redpoll because of the streaking on the flanks. I rarely see Hoary redpolls so I am not good at differentiating between Common and Hoary.

Hoary is paler, wider wingbar, unstreaked rump, eh? Looks like you got plenty to practice on, Pete. Take pictures of any suspicious ones, and we can all play.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back