• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparison of Leopold/Leica/Zeiss? (1 Viewer)

@ CLRobles: IMHO, there are other things that are important about a birding binocular for the tropics except for the image quality: ruggedness, fast focus, low light performance and waterproofness. You cannot believe how fast you can slip on a wet track in some wet, hilly area, with rain dripping on the bins and that quetzal or antpitta only in view for a few seconds in a dim part of the forest understorey. A birding binocular for the tropics has to have more than a flat field and edge to edge sharpness.

You can´t even drop lens cleaning solution on the eyepiece of the SE without it getting soaked, it is not waterproof, it can´t be trusted for anything else then sunday birding in the sunshine.

You aren't supposed to drop lens cleaning solution on the eyepiece of ANY binocular. You are supposed to drop it on a suitable cleaning cloth, tissue or cotton ball and then gently clean the eyepiece with that.
Bob

of course. It was just to illustrate how little moist it can handle. Ie cant flush it under the tap.
You aren't supposed to drop lens cleaning solution on the eyepiece of ANY binocular. You are supposed to drop it on a suitable cleaning cloth, tissue or cotton ball and then gently clean the eyepiece with that.
Bob

CL,
You take these arguments too seriously!

Seriously!

If you want to see good fights go onto the Bird Identification sub forum and look for the "discussions" on the identifications of photographs of perched North American Accipiters!

Bob

PS: This is not directed exclusively to you CL, but to everyone: It is usually helpful to the dialogue to keep one's tongue firmly in one's cheek when disagreeing. A touch of humor is always welcome.

Last edited:
of course. It was just to illustrate how little moist it can handle. Ie cant flush it under the tap.

Interesting. I've read some posts with people talking about using the SE's in the rain. Do they keep the eyepiece cover on whenever they are not looking through the bins? I suppose that's what you'd want to (or try to) do in the rain anyway , but if liquid can get in through the eyepieces that easily, you'd think the SE would be almost useless in any rain heavier than a lightest drizzle.

It was tested in another thread, he used that soloution afaik, hence me mentioning it.

Interesting. I've read some posts with people talking about using the SE's in the rain. Do they keep the eyepiece cover on whenever they are not looking through the bins? I suppose that's what you'd want to (or try to) do in the rain anyway , but if liquid can get in through the eyepieces that easily, you'd think the SE would be almost useless in any rain heavier than a lightest drizzle.

CL is a kinda silly, talking so bad about a bin he never tried. Won´t miss someone acting in that fashion here. BF is the best mannered forum I have ever visited.

Bob

CL is a kinda silly, talking so bad about a bin he never tried....

Do I hear the sound of shattering glass, and do I see someone demolishing the greenhouse he sits in?

Won´t miss someone acting in that fashion here.

Oh. Another master sargeant who decides who is acceptable and who isn't.
Why don't you act as a role model and find the exit you are so eager to guide others to?

(He leans back on the bar, and tips his hat back)
Hey there buckaroos, lets all just settle down, nice ain easy like...we just talkin bout noclars.

It was tested in another thread, he used that soloution afaik, hence me mentioning it.

CL is a kinda silly, talking so bad about a bin he never tried. Won´t miss someone acting in that fashion here. BF is the best mannered forum I have ever visited.

Kristoffer, you are the one who is out of line here. I've gained much more
from CL than I have seen you contribute.

I've really enjoyed the posts from CLRobles that I have seen in the past
few months, as an outdoorsman, he has brought a lot to this forum.

To CL: Don't let some here get to you, I agree with most of your ideas here.
You, Sir, are not alone!

you pmed me, telling me to never reply in your threads, and in some ways threating me about step in your way again. And you said you had me on ignore too. Stick to your plan since you lack the wits to discuss with me, and instead turn nasty.
Do I hear the sound of shattering glass, and do I see someone demolishing the greenhouse he sits in?

Oh. Another master sargeant who decides who is acceptable and who isn't.
Why don't you act as a role model and find the exit you are so eager to guide others to?

Last edited:
You can´t even drop lens cleaning solution on the eyepiece of the SE without it getting soaked, it is not waterproof, it can´t be trusted for anything else then sunday birding in the sunshine.

If a binoculars is not air-tight with O-ring, the moisture will find its way into the body in high humidity area. It will cause internal fogging with a rapid temperature change. It will be wise to leave SE at home.

I don't post here much, but read nearly every thread. One of the things I really like about this forum is the generally very civil and polite tone, even when people disagree.

I find this thread very disappointing, and I hope all the childish bickering stops. You all are better than that, the vast majority of the time. So you disagree about binoculars - its okay, move on.

I don't post here much, but read nearly every thread. One of the things I really like about this forum is the generally very civil and polite tone, even when people disagree.

I find this thread very disappointing, and I hope all the childish bickering stops. You all are better than that, the vast majority of the time. So you disagree about binoculars - its okay, move on.

+1

Aw heck it's good to bicker a little once in a while! If everybody agreed on everything all the time it wouldn't be any fun. I think I will leave the SE's home. Too much risk of moisture penetration.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back