• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Raptor ID help Please. Cambridgeshire,UK (1 Viewer)

JCLynn

Watched this large raptor, today, over the nene washes, cambs, UK. It was soaring high, along with 2 others. I could only get shots from below as they didn't descend low enough to be able to see the upper wing. I'm thinking Common Buzzard but they appear to have a 'moustache' and look a bit falcon like, plus, the lack of carpel patches has foxed me.. They were large birds, bigger than the Marsh Harriers, which were also in the air at the same time.
I hope the attached photo's help anybody kind enough to help me with an ID.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

raptor1.jpg raptor2.jpg raptor3.jpg raptor4.jpg raptor5.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure they were larger than Marsh Harriers - 1,3,4 they look rather like female Kestrels to me!

Last edited:
Yes, kestrels, the tail length alone excludes other falcons, size is virtually impossible to judge accurately with flying birds.

Well, thats a turn up. Getting confused by kestrels. I suppose that the much larger harriers behind could easily have created the size illusion, especially when looking skyward. Thanks for that everyone. I thought I was going barmy and seeing giant kestrels.

Well, thats a turn up. Getting confused by kestrels. I suppose that the much larger harriers behind could easily have created the size illusion, especially when looking skyward. Thanks for that everyone. I thought I was going barmy and seeing giant kestrels.

Don't listen to the others, Joe, I think they are giant kestrels too.|=)|

Either that or the harriers behind were Munchkin Marsh Harriers Chris. :-O

lol, could be, Joe, maybe you should have got pictures of the Marsh Harriers as well.

But seriously, it is different when you are there seeing it for yourself. You can't get across to people how it "felt", if you know what I mean.

I'm rubbish at IDs (which isn't exactly a secret), but they do look like Kestrels, but they also look a bit bulky to me.

I frequently come across "Giant" kestrels as I'm scanning the marshes here at the Dee - they always seem to fool perspective, are closer than you think and actually with their wings open are larger than what people give tem credit for.

Unless natural selection has been given a "leg up" .... what ecological pressure is there around your way so that larger kestrels are "fitter"?

I frequently come across "Giant" kestrels as I'm scanning the marshes here at the Dee - they always seem to fool perspective, are closer than you think and actually with their wings open are larger than what people give tem credit for.

Unless natural selection has been given a "leg up" .... what ecological pressure is there around your way so that larger kestrels are "fitter"?

I blame a trick of perspective for these Giant Kezzers. They were high up, just over the bank, and a couple of marsh harriers were a couple of hundred metres behind, same level. My addled brain got hoodwinked because the Kestrels were not playing fair, they were soaring, and also gave the illusion of 'fingers' on the wingtips, crafty little beggars. I'm pleased that I posted an ID request, it helped return my sanity ( for a bit, anyway )

I blame a trick of perspective for these Giant Kezzers. They were high up, just over the bank, and a couple of marsh harriers were a couple of hundred metres behind, same level. My addled brain got hoodwinked because the Kestrels were not playing fair, they were soaring, and also gave the illusion of 'fingers' on the wingtips, crafty little beggars. I'm pleased that I posted an ID request, it helped return my sanity ( for a bit, anyway )

Yes, but in the meantime, Joe, these Giant Kestrels remain unknown to science. They rely solely on Humans thinking their size is just a trick of the light (which seems to be quite effective).|=)|

Yes, but in the meantime, Joe, these Giant Kestrels remain unknown to science. They rely solely on Humans thinking their size is just a trick of the light (which seems to be quite effective).|=)|

The scary thing about the giant kestrels Chris, is that it means there are also giant bank voles. :eek!:

Have the Dutch authorities split Giant Kestrel from Near Kestrel yet?

Graham

Well, if those 'Europeans' can have Lesser Kestrels, why can't we as 'European's due to Politics only' have Giant ones?

Chris, I googled and found this:
Bill Oddie showing remains of a Giant Kestrel kill -

Giant_Kestrel_kill.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back