• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help me? (1 Viewer)

sarabella

i have a pair of carl zeiss binoculars which look pretty old, just wondering how to find out what model they are.
They say on them 8X30 B and there is a number 703947 which is on them.

Any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

i have a pair of carl zeiss binoculars which look pretty old, just wondering how to find out what model they are.
They say on them 8X30 B and there is a number 703947 which is on them.

Any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

If it does not state Carl Zeiss Jena and is Carl Zeiss West Germany, then you could have: Dialyt 8x30 B. manufactured in 1969.

B on the Dialyt = (brillentrage) high eyepoint eyepieces (eye relief sufficient for spectacle wearers).

mak

If it does not state Carl Zeiss Jena and is Carl Zeiss West Germany, then you could have: Dialyt 8x30 B. manufactured in 1969.

B on the Dialyt = (brillentrage) high eyepoint eyepieces (eye relief sufficient for spectacle wearers).

Must be a West German Zeiss, there never was an Est German 8x30B. The big question is whether it's a roof or a porro ...

Hermann

Hi Sarabella,
Your glass is probably one of the better small porro design binoculars ever built.
Zeiss West Germany introduced this glass in 1958 and built it till 1978, with an upgrade in 1968.
Your serial number suggests a fairly early production unit, from sometime in the 1960s, but if you email Zeiss, they will tell you.
This little Zeiss is still very competitive and gives great views, although better coatings are routine today.
It is a sought after collectors item. I've seen some in good condition sell for several hundred pounds on Ebay.

Must be a West German Zeiss, there never was an Est German 8x30B. The big question is whether it's a roof or a porro ...

Hermann

The serial number sequence also shows that a 8x30 Porro was manufactured around the same time, but if its a Dialyt, then it would be a roof prism.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back