• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Time between mating and laying (Robins) (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

Apologies if this question has been asked/answered before. I've search the net but cannot find an answer....

I witnessed a pair of Robins mating this afternoon (they're nesting in a tree at the bottom of my garden). I was wondering how long is the time between mating and laying, please? From info on the net, I understand that incubation is between 12-14 days, is that correct?

Many thanks
Hobbes

I may be off the mark, but for a "typical" small songbird it is few days. Between male starts mounting a female, and female lays first egg.

I may be off the mark, but for a "typical" small songbird it is few days. Between male starts mounting a female, and female lays first egg.

Thanks Jurek. So, hopefully, before the end of March, I should see some fledglings developing in the nest. :t:
Hobbes

This is highly variable - birds mate often long before any egg-laying is their intention - as a pair-bonding thing (like humans!).

In some birds mating goes on for weeks before egg-laying, in others mating only takes place to fertilise an egg.

An egg already fully-formed, except for the shell, can be fertilised just hours before laying - the shell is formed up to the last few minutes before laying (presumably the smaller the bird, the quicker this process is) - and then becomes impervious to sperm.

A better way of knowing when egg-laying is complete is when incubation begins - usually when most or all the clutch is finished.

This is highly variable - birds mate often long before any egg-laying is their intention - as a pair-bonding thing (like humans!).

In some birds mating goes on for weeks before egg-laying, in others mating only takes place to fertilise an egg.

An egg already fully-formed, except for the shell, can be fertilised just hours before laying - the shell is formed up to the last few minutes before laying (presumably the smaller the bird, the quicker this process is) - and then becomes impervious to sperm.

A better way of knowing when egg-laying is complete is when incubation begins - usually when most or all the clutch is finished.

Thanks for the clarification halftwo. Interesting stuff. I wasn't sure whether Robins were one of those species that mate only to fertilise an egg or as part of the courtship as well as fertilisation. I guess it's the latter.
thanks
Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back