• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Perambulations (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

This is one of the Necklaced Laughingthrushes.

I think its Greater based on the pattern on the cheek, which Lesser should not show. However there is a hint of a pale iris, which is a pro-Lesser feature.

Cheers
Mike

PS looking forward to the Falconet pix

Thanks Mike ! I hadn't realised the LTs were such large birds and so were not on my radar.

Pied Falconets - Wu Yuan - October 2012

The photo culling complete this is the first I've processed of what will I'm sure be many hours work !

Attachments

• Pied-Falconets-October-2012-X2.jpg
    Pied-Falconets-October-2012-X2.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 49
as they say in HK - "Waaaah!"

Cheers
Mike

I remember it well ;) Thanks - I think !

Kevin...ya bugger!

NICE SHOT!!

Ha ha - cheers Mark. Had some very interesting stuff today at our 'Secret Place' too.

That's what we say up north too when we see something like that! :t: :t: :t:

I take it this is a sign of successful family rearing this year at this nest?

:) I was there in the Summer Gretchen and only saw 4 birds (and only 2 on a perch at a time) so assuming two pairs. This time I saw SEVEN (there were 3 more that joined them but on a lower branch) so I'm happy to assume it was a very good hatch for them :king:

Great shot of the four of 'em on that perch.

Thanks Craig - still aspiring to your shots (now maybe if you lent me that 600mm and your camo gear) 8-P

Another interesting day out at Xiao Yang Shan today, relatively quiet but still fun. Highlights (for me) included :

Brambling (F-win).
Daurian Redstart (numerous M&F) (See photo attached)
3 hawks (yet to be ID'd - will post later)
Cuckoo (x3 but could have been the same one/pair).
Varied Tits
... and some others yet to be ID'd

Attachments

• Daurian-Redstarts-October-2012-XL.jpg
    Daurian-Redstarts-October-2012-XL.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
As we say in the US "Holy @#$%!"

That's an amazing photo Kevin.

All I got was the branch.

Thanks Jeff.

In the Summer it took me until the 3rd day to get a shot (and then an avalanche) but this time I only had to wait 20 mins (a.m. around 07.00 to 09.00 seems best, once the sun has a chance to get insects on the move).

Just a few of the birds I've photographed over the past 2/3 weeks - I've so many shots to process (and work is still busy) that I'm waaay behind on my processing.

Many of these were ID'd by the kind folks in the ID section :

1. Oriental Reed Warbler
2. Naumann's Thrush (1st w.) (debate settled)
3. Siberian Stonechat (F)
4. Chestnut Bunting
5. Chestnut-eared Bunting
6. Eurasian Sparrowhawks
7. Dusky Warbler (or Raddes)
8. Siskin (M&F)
9. OBP
10. Richard's P.
11. Black Eared Kite
12. Japanese White Eye
13. Grey-backed Thrush
14. Yellow-browed Bunting
15. Yellow-breasted Bunting
16. Dollarbird
17. Ashy Drongo
18. GBH
19. Cuckoos
20. Daurian Redstarts (many) !
21. Brambling
22. Blue & White Flycatchers
23. Lots of the usual warblers / flycatchers (though the Mugimakis are thinning out) and wagtails - and the Varied Tits are still here of course !

Definitely seems to be a changing of the guard every couple of weeks I go down to Nan Hui / Yang Shan Island. We'll see what's there this weekend (fewer other togs I hope).

Attachments

• ID-28-L.jpg
    ID-28-L.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 24
  • ID-30-L.jpg
    ID-30-L.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 30
  • ID-31-L.jpg
    ID-31-L.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 23
  • ID-32-XL.jpg
    ID-32-XL.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 25
  • ID-34-M.jpg
    ID-34-M.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
A few more shots.

Attachments

• ID-1-L.jpg
    ID-1-L.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 31
  • ID-21-M.jpg
    ID-21-M.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 23
  • ID-20-M.jpg
    ID-20-M.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 26
  • ID-26-L.jpg
    ID-26-L.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 28
  • ID-27-XL.jpg
    ID-27-XL.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 27
Lots of great shots here. I particularly wanted to comment on the Chestnut Bunting shot which is a lovely one and a great angle. I think I didn't really know where the bird's name came from, but this shot shows the chestnut colored back very clearly! Maybe I'll remember it better in the future.

I have to agree with Gretchen - that Chestnut Bunting is superb!

Gretchen, if you Google Chestnut Bunting you'll see why . . .

Cheers
Mike

Can someone please check out the first shot in post #154 above for me please ? It was ID'd as an Oriental Reed Warbler but on second glance the bill (in particular) and colouring do look more like a Thick Billed Warbler (but not the eyebrow) any confirmation either way would be appreciated ! Thanks.

Frog fish

It's definitely an Oriental Reed Warbler. The dark lores and strong super sadly trump a sturdier than usual bill. Believe me I've tried long and hard to turn ORWs into TBWs for years!

Cheers
Mike

Frog fish

It's definitely an Oriental Reed Warbler. The dark lores and strong super sadly trump a sturdier than usual bill. Believe me I've tried long and hard to turn ORWs into TBWs for years!

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike, worth a try ! Sadly I think I knew with that super that it would not be TBW. But that bill is mighty heavy for an ORW where they all seem much slimmer and elongated in other photos on OBC !

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back