• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spot the bird (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

One you find it, its easy to identify! Inspired by Harry's Blackbird

Attachments

• Copy of spot the bird.JPG
    Copy of spot the bird.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 195
I couldn't see the Firecrest at all, but CJW appears to have added a (Red-breasted?) Nuthatch.

1 out of 2 isn't bad for me if that's the case. My first self-found Long-eared Owl in the Fylde was last week when one flew past me whilst jogging at night. I can never find them in bushes unless someone gives me twig by twig instructions.

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
I couldn't see the Firecrest at all, but CJW appears to have added a (Red-breasted?) Nuthatch.

1 out of 2 isn't bad for me if that's the case. My first self-found Long-eared Owl in the Fylde was last week when one flew past me whilst jogging at night. I can never find them in bushes unless someone gives me twig by twig instructions.

Stephen.

They're easy to find, just look for the Sh-t. It looks like someones whitewashed the branches.

Mark

M N Reeder said:
They're easy to find, just look for the Sh-t. It looks like someones whitewashed the branches.

Mark
Hi Mark,

How do you tell LEO sh-t (rarely to be found) from crow / pigeon / heron / sparrowhawk etc sh-t (abundant)?

Michael

Mark,

Thanks for the tip, I will certainly bear it in mind! Unfortunately at the local site (Marton Mere) they often shift from roost sites soon after they are found because people don't stick to the paths and pressure them. So the accumulation of 'guano' doesn't get that great.

Stephen.

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Mark,

How do you tell LEO sh-t (rarely to be found) from crow / pigeon / heron / sparrowhawk etc sh-t (abundant)?

Michael

Good question Michael

Pigeon and Crow muck is usually splattered randomly around the upper branches. In my experience LEO's tend to sit in the same spots (close to the trunk) on a regular basis, because of this the mess tends to be concentrated in a small area close to the tree trunk and on every branch below the bird. The birds that I find are usually in Pine or Hawthorne. Once you find a suspect area follow it up from the bottom and with luck they should be a LEO at the top of it.

Mark

Stephen Dunstan said:
Mark,

Thanks for the tip, I will certainly bear it in mind! Unfortunately at the local site (Marton Mere) they often shift from roost sites soon after they are found because people don't stick to the paths and pressure them. So the accumulation of 'guano' doesn't get that great.

Stephen.
Yes I know what you mean Stephen. We used to have a roost containing over 14 birds. Unfortunately they got hassled to death. Now when we find them we keep them quiet.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back