• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-lost Charadrius Plover (1 Viewer)

White-faced Plover

Eames & Craik 2012. First breeding record of White-faced Plover Charadrius dealbatus in the Indomalayan Realm. BirdingASIA 17: 109–110.

Duyen Hai District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - May 2009.

Eames & Craik 2012. First breeding record of White-faced Plover Charadrius dealbatus in the Indomalayan Realm. BirdingASIA 17: 109–110.

Duyen Hai District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - May 2009.

No comment on the specific status (or otherwise) other than "Charadrius dealbatus sensu stricto".

cheers, alan

Eames & Craik 2012

No comment on the specific status (or otherwise) other than "Charadrius dealbatus sensu stricto".
Rheindt et al 2011 isn't listed in the references, but...
Editors note: A new paper on the taxonomic identity of White-faced Plover has now been published (Rheindt et al. 2011), available online... This once again throws doubt on the validity of dealbatus as a full species.

No comment on the specific status (or otherwise) other than "Charadrius dealbatus sensu stricto". cheers, alan

Not quite.
The appended Editors note (lack of apostrophe is citation of BirdingASIA) refers to Rheindt et al 2011.
MJB

Rheindt et al 2011 is a very interesting paper. I wonder to what extent the genetics here undermine the concept of the 'phenotypic score card' for use in taxonomy.

Wang, Que, Heckel, Hu, Zhang, Chiang, Huang, Liu, Martinez, Zhang, Pagani-Nunez, Dingle, Yan, Szekely, Zhang. 2018. Divergence in the face of gene flow in two Charadrius plovers along the Chinese coast.
[BioRxiv preprint]

Abstract
Speciation with gene flow is an alternative to the nascence of new taxa in strict allopatric separation. Indeed, many taxa have parapatric distributions at present. It is often unclear if these are secondary contacts, e.g. caused by past glaciation cycles or the manifestation of speciation with gene flow, which hampers our understanding of how different forces drive diversification. Here we studied genetic, phenotypic and ecological aspects of divergence in a pair of incipient species, the Kentish (Charadrius alexandrinus) and the white-faced Plovers (C. dealbatus), shorebirds with parapatric breeding ranges along the Chinese coast. We assessed divergence based on molecular markers with different modes of inheritance and quantified phenotypic and ecological divergence in aspects of morphometric, dietary and climatic niches. These analyses revealed small to moderate levels of genetic and phenotypic distinctiveness with symmetric gene flow across the contact area at the Chinese coast. The two species diverged approximately half a million years ago in dynamical isolation and secondary contact due to cycling sea level changes between the Eastern and Southern China Sea in the mid-late Pleistocene. We found evidence of character displacement and ecological niche differentiation between the two species, invoking the role of selection in facilitating divergence despite gene flow. These findings imply that the ecology can indeed counter gene flow through divergent selection and thus contribute to incipient speciation in these plovers. Furthermore, our study highlights the importance of using integrative datasets to reveal the evolutionary history and underlying mechanisms of speciation.

Last edited:
So it's official at last?

David Bakewell was heavily involved in this I think after birds started being found in Malaysia and Thailand, I expected a paper from him?

So it's official at last?

David Bakewell was heavily involved in this I think after birds started being found in Malaysia and Thailand, I expected a paper from him?

Yes a long time since Dave's discovery! Unfortunately this winter the main spot for seeing them here in Singapore is currently off limits due to development work. Hopefully they're still there as there is normally a small flock.

The earlier investigation (2011; here) didn't find any significant genetic differences. Looks like the new investigation did find them :t:

Maybe, but does that say anything about its species status? One major flaw as I see it is that the only alexandrinus samples are from China. Dealbatus could therefore be embedded in alexandrinus as a whole. Besides, this quote makes me cautious: ”The recent split of the two plover species would suggest that reproductive isolation may be limited.”

and interesting quote from the paper:
Our results suggest that some form of selection must operate on these two species, especially on WFP, to maintain such divergence between the populations with the presence of historical gene flow (results from the present study) and concurrent gene flow (Wang et al., 2019).

Niels

7 months - pretty good! (considering that e.g. Common / Mew Gull split is still yet to be done after 9 years since Sternkopf's thesis splitting them :eek!:)

I didn't realize this was based on a thesis, and not a published paper. If it is a PhD thesis, there you go. Most scientists don't really considered those to be published works, since they don't really go through the same degree of peer review. As someone who has completed a PhD and a Masters, I can definitely confirm a lot can change between submitted thesis and publication in a journal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back