• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Affordable camera traps you can recommend? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I'm considering buying a camera trap just to see what's visiting our garden and leaving stinking heaps in it. So nothing too expensive is planned. Nevertheless, if I can get a bit more than just outlines and blobs, it would be nice. So I'd be grateful for recommendations, both for models that have proven their worth as well as about what to look for when buying such a camera.

The LtL Acorn 5210 is not too bad, day images are good the night ones are

I got one for £70 recently and for that money I think it is a good camera.

A couple of photos one day, dusk and full night time.

Mark

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 531
  • IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 474
A couple of photos one day, dusk and full night time.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. Very good results, indeed. I need to find out how much it might cost me in Switzerland, though.

I presume you got a used one, as regular prices seem higher. Do you have the 940nm or the 850 nm one?

Last edited:
If anyone's still looking for a trailcam, Aldi have another batch out today, with sound this time, £69.99

I bought a ProStalk PC4000 last year for just over £100 and it works well. I got some great photos of Pine Martens in Scotland last month in daylight and with infra red. Good battery life, reasonable definition. Takes up to 32GB SD card. Video or still.

If anyone's still looking for a trailcam, Aldi have another batch out today, with sound this time, £69.99

I tried one of the Aldi ones last year. It was faulty, kept on giving split and half images. I tried several memory cards and removing and replacing the batteries but nothing worked. In the end I took it back and got a refund.

I bought an icefox trailcam as it had great reviews. Have to say so far I agree with them. 1080 HD resolution 2" screen on the back to review images. Choice of image , image and film or film only, wide angle lens 120 degree capture paired with a 0.4sec reaction time means you don't miss anything. Most cheaper models are slower to react and only give approx a 60 degree so a lot of shots missed as the subject has passed through the scene by the time it is detected and you get a shot.
Added this even though it's an old thread as the OP asked for some tips on what to look for on purchase. Hopefully there is a few tips on what to look out for in the post

I was given one of these cameras as a present, image isn't all that sharp but certainly does the job and I've had no issues with it.
Have a look at the compilation of mostly mammals I got at https://www.facebook.com/hungrybirdtours/ on the post from 19th December 2016, some nice species! Also an eagle owl on 15th January 2017. Currently postioned in the woods nearby so looking foraward to collecting it and being surprised by what's been recorded.
I'd pay £70 again for it, also excellent battery life even when using video mode as I always do.

I'm considering buying a camera trap just to see what's visiting our garden and leaving stinking heaps in it. So nothing too expensive is planned. Nevertheless, if I can get a bit more than just outlines and blobs, it would be nice. So I'd be grateful for recommendations, both for models that have proven their worth as well as about what to look for when buying such a camera.

Oh well, I asked this question four years ago, and I still have not bought one of these cameras. But things get more urgent now, and I expect newer models must have appeared in the meantime? So any recent experiences as well as reports on the durability of older models would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back