• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plymouth - Santander ferry (1 Viewer)

chris murphy

Used Register
Hi all,
I'm doing the Plymouth- santander ferry this weekend and am wondering if anyone else will be on it? I'm hoping to get Little Shearwater (although there have been worryingly few reports so far). Also I've heard that there can be some good sightings from the ferry in the harbour at santander (Melod. warbler, serin etc.), but I was wondering if anyone has been and seen Spotless starling in the harbour? Hope to see some of you on the ship if you're going. I'll post a report of the trip (with two days in cornwall beforehand also), unless it's really terrible then I might just leap off the boat and end it all.

Hi Chris,

Did it last year, got good views of one Little Shear, and missed a couple of others.

The views of stuff in Santander is tricky, managed a Melodious, but it was at the limit of identifiability at highest magnification through other people's Swarovski scopes, mine wasn't up to it (distance to bird about 300-400m). No Spotless Starlings, they're not an urban species, apparently to see them you have to go away from the port centre for 2 or 3 miles into the suburbs.

Good luck though! I gather that this year is the last year it'll be possible Plymouth-Santander, as I've heard next year it'll be a new high speed catmaran going at 30 knots, with no outdoor viewing.

Michael

Hi Chris,

As you don't get long in Santander it's best to head for the small park about 400m from the ferry terminal. You do have to cross a busy road, but you should connect with Melodious Warbler in there. I also saw a Red-backed Shrike, but little else of interest. If you're on the 11.00am sailing from Plymouth you should get to the 'canyon' at about 7.00pm - that's where most of the birds and Whales tend to be. Unfortunately the boat passes over most of the good bits in darkness on the way out. Coming back is better. Look out also for unusual landbirds at sea. I've seen Turtle Dove, Montagu's Harrier, Hobby and Bittern!! I've also seen a cow (don't ask!)

Have a good time - I'm sure you will

Darrell

Michael,

It's the first we've heard of it down here!. Brittany Ferries have just replaced the Val de Loire with another Ferry. Their most profitable route to Spain is Portsmouth-Bilbao so that gets the most modern ships. I don't think you can get a Cat that can hold 500 vehicles.

Darrell

Darrell Clegg said:
I've also seen a cow (don't ask!)

Hi Darrell,

OK you asked Chris not to ask, but I will - do tell the story!!

'Bout the ship - maybe not a cat, but some sort of high speed ferry, where it is too dangerous to have people outside. Thirty knots is the figure I was told (by the person who organised my trip last year).

Michael

Last edited:
Ok here goes!

I don't know if anyone knows the artist John Gale. He and I had just seen a bird - a very long way off, which we were both adamant was a Great Bittern. We got a lot of stick from everyone else on board as to how silly a Bittern claim was in the middle of the Bay of Biscay, when suddenly someone shouted "whale - very close, just in front of the boat" Everyone immediately got on to the creature and started trying to identify it.
I noticed something odd straight away - it wasn't moving, but was rather just bobbing about. I also saw an ear with a big yellow tag. 'It's a dead cow!' I exclaimed. Cue more laughter, until it rolled over and a leg stuck up in the air. One nil to me, and suddenly that Bittern claim didn't seem so daft after all.

Darrell

Hi Michael

As I found, and identified, both Melodious and Western Bonelli's Warblers using a mere Optolyth TBS80 and a puny 30x eyepiece - while you were standing next to me on the deck of the ferry - I think you are being slightly pessimistic . On Tuesday this week I added Red-backed and Woodchat Shrikes to my Santander Harbour finds list. The distance to the birds is much closer to 200m than 300m (definitely nowhere near 400m) so well within identifiable range with a good scope/eyepice combination. Having spent three days in Santander in 2001 I can also confirm that Spotless Starling can be found in the town. We had excellent views of several birds from our hotel balcony and this week we had a very good candidtae from the ferry while we were in the harbour.

Hi Darrell

Brittany haven't replaced the Val de Loire, although they will be doing so at the end of this summer. The Val de Loire will then sail the Plymouth-Roscoff route and the Pont Aven will take over Plymouth-Santander. The new ferry will travel at speeds up to 35 knots and will only take 18 hours to complete the crossing. It doesn't have an open observation deck so this will likely signal the end of bird/cetacean records from the Plymouth-Santander route. I'm surprised that birders in the SW are unaware of this as we knew this was going to happen round about the time of the trip that I led in August 2002. Do P&O know that Brittany Ferries most profitable route is Portsmouth-Bilbao? Is this the industrial espionage that is funding the new ferry?

martin kitching

Hi Darrell

The Pont Aven isn't a cat (Michael must have got that info from somewhere else). For info about the Pont Aven see

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1121

The Val de Loire is still on the Plymouth-Santander route at the moment. Interestingly, while we were on the ferry this week, we heard some passengers (non-birders who regularlly take the mini-cruise) complaining that the journey time would be shortened and that the timetable is going to change so that the journey takes place without passengers sleeping overnight. Ultimately it makes no difference to birders as the absence of an observation deck, and the high speed, will render it useless (unless of course you want to get to Spain quickly!). An eco-tourism opportunity, that Brittany may not even have been aware of disappears soon.........

martin

martin kitching said:
The Pont Aven isn't a cat (Michael must have got that info from somewhere else).

Hi Martin,

Not somewhere else, just my lack of marine technology knowledge. I sort of assumed that anything capable of going at 35 knots would be a moggie. Obviously, it isn't.

But the effect is exactly the same - no observation deck (so why quibble about what sort of conveyance it is?!?).

Michael

Plymouth-Santander trip report.

Hi folks,
As promised here is a quick trip report from last weeks plymouth-santander ferry. Here goes....
Day one - 23th august.
Our group of four travelled down to plymouth during the day, stopping at Aylesbeare Common for brief views of Dartford Warbler and some Ravens. Stopped at Chew Valley lake but failed to see any of the rare ducks. We did get Ruddy shelduck though (and if that bird is wild then my middle name is Gandhi).
Day two - 24th.
Travelled around Devon (Slapton etc.) seeing not very much at all except lots of Little Egrets and Buzzards. We finished up at Bowling Green Marsh where thankfully the Ibis was showing well, along with the imm. Spoonbill sat in a tree. This bird seemed obsessed with trying to bite the branch it was standing on until it unsteadied itself and had to fly to another branch! Don't know what it was playing at but it was funny to watch. Lots of Little Egrets and a spotted redshank ensured a good afternoons birding. Tried a few Cirl Bunting sites but drew a blank so returned to aylesbeare and had much better views of dartfords.
Day three - 25th
Boarded the Val de Loire at 8:30am. The outward journey was, by and large, very quiet. We had numerous storm petrels and gannets but despite spending all day on the observation deck, were rewarded with very little.
Day four - 26th
On the observation deck at 6:15am. Weather quite poor and only storm petrels and gannets to note before pulling into a very misty santander harbour. We stayed on the observation deck of the ship and scanned the conifers on the dock. This was very productive and we saw Melodious and Bonellis warblers, serin, woodchat (which I missed), female R.B.Shrike, pied flycatcher. Later on a whinchat appeared on the front of the ship and then flew off to the fence on the dock....and landed right next to a Spectacled warbler! We also had Med Gull and Peregrine in the harbour along with numerous yellow legged gulls. The ship then proceeded on the return journey which I was assured by others was the better of the two trips. It did not disappoint. A few hours out of santander we reached the first storm petrels. Two of our group went to get some dinner...just as two Balearic shearwaters flew across the front of the boat, giving excellent views. A further three were flushed off the water at very close range. Things started to pick up until mid afternoon produced a distant shearwater which was tentatively ID'd as a Little. Later in the afternoon, the call came that I'd been waiting for...Little shearwater in front of the boat! This bird proceeded to fly in front of the boat for a few mins before drifting round the side and being lost to view. This is what I had most hoped to see. Anyone who has'nt seen one and is worried about confusion with Manx shouldnt be, with their smaller size, chubby appearance, shorter wings and white face they are utterly distinctive. The white markings on the secondaries are not as obvious as I thought they would be, but the white 'pegs' on the rump stand out.
Further sightings through the day included ad. Sabs Gull, ad. pale phase Pom Skua (complete with tail 'spoons'), two Cory's and one sooty shear (I missed both of these, well done Chris!) and arctic and great skuas. The real boost came late in the afternoon when another Little shear was called. I failed to get onto this bird but five mins later, one appeared off the right hand side of the ship and kept pace with us for about five minutes, giving superb views. Throw all the cetaceans into the bargain (Fin, Sperm, Pilot whales and load of Dolphins and Sunfish etc.) and this turned out to be a superb day.
Day five - 27th
We got up early to get the last few hours of seawatching before reaching Plymouth. I was hopeful we would get Wilsons petrel but unfortunately the weather had other ideas. A howling easterly wind ensured that few birds were seen, with only a few stormies and gannets, and the highlight being four manxies past just outside plymouth.
We departed the boat and had a further try for Cirl bunting but it was not to be with this species unfortunately. However, a quick stop at Chew Valley Lake produced the White-headed Duck. Plastic or genuine? Who knows, but it was a superb way to round off a superb trip.
I've just scrolled up and realised that this is'nt exactly the 'quick report' I said it would be, but I hope it has been of interest. If anyone needs any extra details, don't be afraid to ask
BTW thanks to Martin and Sarah for driving and well done to Mark for picking up the second Little shear.
Best regards
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back