• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten (1 Viewer)

briwig

Hello everyone,I am going to the cairngorms in June and will be visiting the hide to see the ospreys at loch garten,what I would like to know is can you get good photo's of the birds from the hide with a 500mm+1.4 extender or are they just to far for a decent photo?if so can any member recommend a place to go for good photograph's of the ospreys? many thanks Brian

many thanks for the reply and the link,the price is a bit steep, is there any other places that you can suggest

We have just come back from Craigellachie (approx. a 40 minute drive from Loch Garten)and have seen Ospreys at Lossiemouth and on previous visits have photgraphed Ospreys at Spey Bay and also at Lossiemouth. Loch Garten is still worth the visit for crested tits.

We go onto the fishfarm after the anglers have gone - 5.30ish? Seen many ospreys catching/attempting to catch fish and have never paid more than a couple of pounds each. People have been taking photos there from the bankside. Maybe things have changed now. Hope they still let just bird 'watchers' onto the site though.

Sandra

Thanks for the info,think I will try the fish farm, have heard about this on other forums,does it cover a large area? or is it small enough to keep the birds in a tight enough area so your not chasing them all over??? many thanks again Brian

You won't need to 'chase' them. Just pick your spot on the bank and watch for them flying in. You might need to walk a few yards if one is just out of view but it's not a huge fish-farm.

Or you can stand on the platform of the railway station and have good views there too.

We have been to the Fish farm as well and had a few sightings. Go earlier than 5.30 as they seem to be wanting you out by then, unless things have changed in the past 2 years. I think it is about £1.50 - £2 to get in.

There is always the hide to sit in whilst you are waiting and when we were there the Goldeneye were nesting in the box in the trees near the back of this hide.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I will be in the area in two weeks time. Could any one give me directions on how to find the fish farm please?

Many thanks.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I will be in the area in two weeks time. Could any one give me directions on how to find the fish farm please?

Many thanks.

As you approach Aviemore from the south, before you reach the railway station, take the main road off to the right - probably signed Cairngorm funicular/loch Morlich/Glenmore etc. - then shortly after that turn left into the fishfarm carpark.

(We go after the ponds are closed to anglers which used to be 5.30. The farm was quite happy to then allow birdwatchers on the site. We stayed as long as we wanted. Maybe things have changed now. We once did a deal with the man in the shop and paid £5 each for the week!)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back