• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best place for two day stopover-early August USA? (1 Viewer)

picknage

Hi all

I have a chance to stop on a trip for a couple of days near a main hub airport in early August in mainland USA.

Renting a car and driving for a bit are no issue. I did the same near Houston a couple of years ago and loved it as well as seeing lots of cool birds and alligators.

Does anyone have any good places to see lots of birds and maybe some mammals/reptiles?

I guess my preference would be more the warbler/thrush/sparrow/vireo and other small birds side of it But also happy to see somewhere new etc.

Thanks, Nick

I once looked into doing 2 or 3 days out of Las Vegas as part of a trip that never ultimately came off and the birding looked pretty fair. There was a spot in the desert just to the north called Corn Creek I liked the look of, Lake Mead to the east for wetland stuff and Mount Charleston to the west for montane species.

Cheers

James

This might be hard to answer without knowing WHICH AIRPORT you are going to be in... (?)

Thanks David, good point :) I am flying to Seattle so can prob stop over at most on the way as there are few direct flights to there from London. So Boston, ny, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, DC, LA and maybe some others are options, depending of any suggestion people make

Thanks Nick

I once looked into doing 2 or 3 days out of Las Vegas as part of a trip that never ultimately came off and the birding looked pretty fair. There was a spot in the desert just to the north called Corn Creek I liked the look of, Lake Mead to the east for wetland stuff and Mount Charleston to the west for montane species.

Cheers

James

Thanks James, that sounds like a cool trip, I can stop in LA I think so not too far away and will check out the places you mention as they sound interesting.

Cheers nick

Las Vegas is pretty far from Los Angeles (5 hours I think). The LA area would have a lot of good birds, especially for someone out of the country, though. August isn't the best month to go, but you could still get over 100 species if you planned it well.

There are regular pelagic tours from several places in California which would add the possibility of some sea mammals.

Niels

If you decide to stop at LA, San Diego or San Francisco then we found loads of information on the California forum.
Our trip from last August is here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=289092&highlight=Monterey which gives and indication of what is around at that time.

I would also suggest San Francisco.
Monterrey Bay in south of San Francisco is very good, but also in the north of San Francisco are good bird watching places.
Also not bad is bird watching the wild birds which live in the zoo.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back