• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All about the Goldfinches (1 Viewer)

Renee Redstart

There's an article on the BTO website on what's been in the news about Goldfinches, with advice on how to attract them. If anyone's interested, it's at:

http://www.bto.org/gbw/NEWS/PRESS/2006/2006-03-06.htm

Oddly enough, while they are discussing Goldies using seed feeders, this has just been my quietest week for the Goldies. Also, it continued to be very quiet in general all week on the hanging seed feeders, as we were discussing on "Where do they all go?" It has been very quiet today too. Only the ground food and the fats are going down well.

Hi Renee,
Thanks for the link,it made interesting reading.
It's been a quiet week here too this week apart from when it rained all day........I can't remember which day it was now but the birds were suddenly feeding as if there was no tomorrow!!
All our snow has gone now but we've a bitterly cold Easterly blowing.....time to look out for Waxwings methinks!!!
Best wishes,

Renee Redstart said:
There's an article on the BTO website on what's been in the news about Goldfinches, with advice on how to attract them. If anyone's interested, it's at:

http://www.bto.org/gbw/NEWS/PRESS/2006/2006-03-06.htm

Oddly enough, while they are discussing Goldies using seed feeders, this has just been my quietest week for the Goldies. Also, it continued to be very quiet in general all week on the hanging seed feeders, as we were discussing on "Where do they all go?" It has been very quiet today too. Only the ground food and the fats are going down well.

Hi Renee & Ruth,

It isn't just your Goldies that have started to stay a way more Renee, it happened spasmodically with ours over the last week and only necessitated us filling up the feeders once a day. Though with the colder weather coming back it's now brought them back once again.

I heard in the week that the BTO believe it's us feeding the Goldies sunflower hearts that have brought their numbers back so well since the drastic decline in the 70s. So despite some folk being always ready to criticise us Birders for feeding - it now appears we've be doing them a real favour!!!

Hi Renee, Ruth and Sue,
Thanks for the link Renee.
Isn't it good to know we humans can get it right sometimes! and do some good, not harm!
I am finding the most popular bird in the most numbers on my feeders at the moment are the Siskins. They seem to have taken over from the Goldies! I get about 6/8 Goldies compared to about 14+ Siskins.
Like Ruth our snow has gone and a bitterly cold wind prevails. Wonder what we'll get up in the morning to? Stay warm people, and take care on the roads if you're travelling tomorrow,
All the best, Judo.

Hi Judo,

I wonder if your Siskins are feeding up more and getting ready for the trip further north ready to breed.

From our reading of the forecast for tomorrow I don't think there should be too much more snow, just some showers, but with cold conditions prevailing. So you and yours take care and keep safe too!! Best wishes Judo,

Sue

Hi all,

with all the snow about today we had record numbers of greenies - 13! No siskins apart from a single one a couple of weeks ago, but we did have a single goldie doing battle with the greenies and I'm afraid losing at least while I was watching. He completely ignored the peanut feeder, just wanted on the sunflower hearts. My only consolation is that maybe he fed later.

Cheers, :flyaway:

Hi All

It has been snowing here all day and it's bitterly cold. When I looked out of the patio doors this morning I heard a lot of birds singing even so it was snowing heavily. I then noticed 20 + goldies in next doors apple tree. Some where all puffed up but others where busy singing and doing a sideways wiggle fanning their tails in and out, the boys impressing the girls? Only two came onto the feeders. I wonder if this was some kind of social gathering to find a mate? Local goldies find a mate in Russells apple tree club :-O or just getting ready to flock for food. Well there is plenty of food here but only 2 came onto the feeders even so they stayed around for half an hour or so. It was lovely watching the goldies doing their little wiggle. They often do this when one first lands on the feeder tree before the other arrive but this is the first time I've noticed the tail fanning. Has anybody else noticed this behaviour?

Liebchen

Sue & Terry said:
I wonder if your Siskins are feeding up more and getting ready for the trip further north ready to breed.

Hi Sue,
You could very well be right as they seem to be here feeding pretty much all day, only giving away their places on the feeders when the C.Doves startle them, or the Sparrows muscle their way in, or when the Sparrowhawk comes to call! I will miss them when they go, in fact I wasn't certain if they stayed around or not 'til your post Sue, so thanks for clearing that one up for me.. When is it likely to happen? I'll just have to hope they remember the way back next Winter!
All the best, Judo.

Hi again Judo,

Afraid your guess of when is it likely to happen is as good as mine, but with this weather, and especially with it as it is way up north then they may be with you for a little while longer yet. So fingers crossed. :t: Our sole female Siskin fled about a week ago, must have known this lot was coming in! :flyaway:

Like as not they'll be back again with you next year though. No doubt you've got some Alder trees nearby, they love them and usually go from feeders to the Alders to preen (as well as feed naturally), rest and have hiccups! o:D All the best Judo, Sue

Last edited:
Well, just after patting myself on the back for feeding the Goldies, they pack up and desert me! While you've been filling your feeders once a day Sue, I haven't touched mine for days! I've only had to feed the hoggish Blackbirds and other ground feeding birds to any great extent.
On Sundays, when I start my BTO week, I usually tick off most of the regular species while making breakfast. Leaving me just to top up numbers in the week, and add the odd newcomer or irregular. This morning - NO Goldfinches whatsoever, and there are usually at least one or two first thing. All I've had today is Blackbirds, Starlings, 1 Robin, 1 Dunnock, 1 C.Dove and a couple of Chaffinches. Very weird indeed.
And that's with the weather returning to being very cold again. It's nothing like some of you will have had elsewhere, but I had to go back to defrosting the drinking water, and there was a light dusting of snow, although that didn't last.
Oh, and Liebchen, I haven't ever noticed any wiggling or fanning. Most interesting. I'll have to look out for that, IF they deem to return!

Good Heavens Renee, I find that startling as I thought you had quite a few really regular ones - or did you have and they've now absconded?! If the latter Renee, then it's quite possibly all to do with nesting.

So you haven't seen the waggling of the tails either? It is so sweet and noticeable that if they'd done so whilst in the garden (usually on the crab tree with us) then you wouldn't have missed it.

Don't despair about them leaving though Renee, they'll be back at some time. We didn't have ours for quite a spell last summer and couldn't understand it; we even thought they'd gone for good! It seemed so strange after the summer before when we had to feed them twice a day every day! Thankfully, back they came as soon as winter approached. Fingers crossed Renee! Best wishes,

Sue

Yes

Liebchen said:
Hi All

It has been snowing here all day and it's bitterly cold. When I looked out of the patio doors this morning I heard a lot of birds singing even so it was snowing heavily. I then noticed 20 + goldies in next doors apple tree. Some where all puffed up but others where busy singing and doing a sideways wiggle fanning their tails in and out, the boys impressing the girls? Only two came onto the feeders. I wonder if this was some kind of social gathering to find a mate? Local goldies find a mate in Russells apple tree club :-O or just getting ready to flock for food. Well there is plenty of food here but only 2 came onto the feeders even so they stayed around for half an hour or so. It was lovely watching the goldies doing their little wiggle. They often do this when one first lands on the feeder tree before the other arrive but this is the first time I've noticed the tail fanning. Has anybody else noticed this behaviour?

Liebchen

Hi Liebchen,

It's SO good to know you've seen them wiggling too. It's as though they can't wiggle their lower halves hard enough to one side, very expressive indeed and only ever at this time of year. I was going to say about it on the old BBC boards last year, but no-one else had said anything and I thought they might think I was a bit 'wiggled' myself!!

It's the same down here, being usually the first that lands in the tree that starts doing it. I presume it's hoping to advertise itself quickly before the others can join in. A bit like the saying of "it's the early Bird that catches the worm!" I wonder if it's true! o:D Happy waggle watching M!

Sue

Sue & Terry said:
Don't despair about them leaving though Renee, they'll be back at some time. We didn't have ours for quite a spell last summer and couldn't understand it; we even thought they'd gone for good! It seemed so strange after the summer before when we had to feed them twice a day every day! Thankfully, back they came as soon as winter approached. Fingers crossed Renee! Best wishes,
Sue

GOOD NEWS! They must have heard my distress call. Three Goldies were back on the niger just before 8am! :D
Talk about 'they'll be back at some time!'
I was in a panic about nothing!! Still, it is true that no-one ate from the seed feeders for quite a few days. I looked out for the wiggle, but didn't really notice it. What always does strike me though is how the Goldfinches, more than most, are constantly turning their heads looking for predators. I always feel sorry for them having such stressful meals.
Oh, and I forgot to mention last night, that Mr. Blackcap was here yesterday. He still remains a regular, with Mrs. B an occasional visitor. But there again, he eats ground food and fats, so I still can't undersand why no-one has touched my sunflower hearts. They haven't moved for days. I'm going to chuck them out today, and put a clean feeder out.
Don't I get into an unnecessary tizz?
(Don't all of you agree at once!)

Hi Renee,

I couldn't be more delighted for you and I do know what it's like to feel your heart almost come to a standstill with the excitement of such a wonderful sight. They're unlikely to leave you completely for their summer recess (!!!) with all this cold weather about and you having so much high-energy food to help them survive it all.

By the way Renee, our female Blackcap is still with us too and I believe Rose 1's (Taylor) is too. Ours is still happy with the apples as well as being down on the ground with the Chaffinches getting some mixed seed as well as pieces of sunflower hearts that drop. Good luck Renee and no doubt they'll be with you for the rest of this week!

Hi Renee, Sue and All,
I have noticed "the wiggle", but not "the fanning" of the tail. They always remind me of those little clockwork birds you wind up with a key, that turn from side to side. Anyone know what I mean?
RENEE I'm glad yours are back with you, don't we get in a state about "our" birds?
SUE I hope you're right about "my" Siskins. They are still here today, they are the ones who are eating all the sunflower hearts here.
The snow has all gone and it has been fine but with a very cold wind. I have been out in the garden all morning and what surprised (and disappointed) me was no Robin kept me company, usually as soon as I put the trowel in the soil he's there, but not today. I haven't heard him singing in the mornings for a couple of days either, I'm just hoping I haven't lost him. :-C
But what I was pleased to see were two Greenfinches on the sunflower seed feeder, and the Blackies were eating their sultanas not two feet from me. So a mixed day of seeing some favourites and missing others.
All the best, Judo.

Hi everyone

Well I'm glad that others have noticed this little wiggle too. At least I know now I'm not going of my waggeling rocker. :'D

It was the first time I've noticed the tail fanning and the goldie I was watching was singing and wiggeling side to side at the same time. When the tail feathers where spread out they were black/white/black/white/black. Maybe it's something they only do in mating season. Still it looked so cute. When the goldies do their wiggle they do not move their head. When I first noticed this wiggle I thought it was looking out for danger but often this wiggeling is accompanied by singing as well which suggests to me it has another meaning.

I do love goldies. They are the reason why I started feeding birds because I saw them on a neighbours feeders and was hooked. :bounce:

Liebchen

I'm sure you're quite correct about them wiggling for romantic reasons more than anything else Liebchen, I'm just so glad you've noticed them wiggling too as well as Judo now thank goodness! We'll have to form a wigglers club!! :'D Only joking Liebchen & Judo, before anyone gets any ideas!!! o:D

It is!!!! I saw it today. The tail fanning is courtship display. :clap:

I was watching a flock of goldies in the tree today and one was singing, wiggling and fanning his tail with great vigour. Right next to him was another goldie which I believe must be the girl he was trying to impress. When she moved on he followed singing, wiggling and tail speading until they reached the feeders. I do hope he managed to impress her. He was certainly trying very hard. They then vanished into the holly tree where I could not see them any longer. ;) All afternoon the tree was 'alive' with goldies singing, sparrows chirping and the starlings occasionally jointed in too. It was the most amazing sound. o:)

Liebchen

Brilliant Liebchen!!!!!

I've still yet to see ours fanning the tails, but maybe they do that bit in private...after all this IS Somerset you know!! We're frightfully posh down yer!

Possibly a bit of :eat: going on in your Holly bush, don't you think!

Have you got a camera M? If so then do try and get a picture of them, I'll do the same if I should be so lucky here, the fanning part I mean. The males have the red of the face going a little further behind the eye than the female.
Give it a go if possible M. Good luck,

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back