• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dog Chasing Fledgling (1 Viewer)

Evanji Axu

Spiteful Cynic
My beagle doesn't bother the birds at the feeders, but I just dragged her in from chasing a Brown Thrasher fledgling. She actually caught it and had it on its back and squawking. The bird is fine, but I was surprised that Jessie would do that. Then, as I was typing this up, Mom called. I told her, and she says Jessie was more curious than anything, that she wouldn't hurt a bird on purpose but might scare it. I agree. Jessie's a rabbit dog, not a bird dog. Still, I gave her a nasty telling-off. So, does anyone else's dog chase/hurt baby birds, or do they leave them alone?

Update: When I let Jessie out again this afternoon, I saw no signs of the fledgling. She didn't go looking for it and didn't end up catching it again, so I'm very worried about the little guy. I looked all over the yard for him and no success.

Hi there,
I used to have a mad dog that chased pigeons. Didn't bother with anything else though.

Chris

My dog is usually only bothered with the larger birds. Crows and pigeons really annoy him. But he lies under the bird feeders and the small birds don't have a problem with feeding while he's there. I think they know he's not a threat.
Also depends what mood he's in though. He got a right telling off for chasing a blackbird feeding his babies and he's left it alone ever since.
He tried to catch a fledgling bluetit last year too, and had no chance. It just kept hopping over him. He's only small and would not know to hurt one if he caught it.

We named him Edgar; Dad thinks he may have a hurt/deformed wing. Also, I've seen brown thrasher adults in the yard, but I haven't seen them feed him; do you think they might have abandoned him?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back