• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

does size really matter? (1 Viewer)

smurf.for.mark

just bought these along with a new 501HDV head:smoke:

not the best thing for bird watching with independent focus i know, got them mainly for astronomy and long distance sea/nature watching.
the binoculars are helios apollo 15x70's

Attachments

• 15x70501.JPG
    15x70501.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 124
just bought these along with a new 501HDV head:smoke:

not the best thing for bird watching with independent focus i know, got them mainly for astronomy and long distance sea/nature watching.
the binoculars are helios apollo 15x70's

I would have thought for seabird watching the IF will be fine (they're all distant after all).

How do they look for birding?

well for starters there a lot heavier and more cumbersome to set up cart about than your average spotter at 2.5kgs, you wouldnt want to leave them attached to the tripod while slung over your shoulder walking so there only really usefull for static observation.
that said they do offer certain advantages over a scope ie they are comfortable to view through for long periods and despite generally having a lower mag than most prefere on a spotter ie 15x you get the impression the mag is much higher using both eyes. when compared to a scope at 25x using one eye you'd think the 15x bins were actually 20x until you compare them side by side obviously. must be something to do with the higher resolution using two eyes but the bins certainly dont feel under powered.
the helios apollo bins are the same as the garret signatures, oberwerk ultras and orion resolux in the states, fully broadband multi coated through out and waterproof.
they have a very sharp centre 50% field of view that does drop of towards the edge but using them on a good mount negates this, ca is minimal at 15x and the apparent fov is wide in this configeration. well made good quality and very popular astronomy bins on other forums, being a bino lover i just couldnt resist these.
regarding the individual focusing eyepieces, when mounted as these bins should be its not so much of an issue as long as you realise it takes a little longer to get it adjusted correctly in both sides till you get the hang of it. the focus is quite stiff so no danger of it moving accidently.

Last edited:
If your bins have calibration marks on the eyepieces you can use these to greatly increase the speed of changing focus. Here's how...

Take your time and very carefully focus both sides at infinity. Note the difference between the two EP's calibration marks and their positions. When changing focus to say, something closer just use one eye to get on focus and just move the other EP to the same position allowing for the differential you saw at infinity. When moving back to infinity just move the EPs to the marks you referenced.

I use this method with my Fujinon 16x70s and once you get used to it allows big bins to be used for more than just staring at infinity. You probably won't be tracking warblers in the brush with them though!

thanks, i havnt really had a chance to use them yet but did own an old nikon 7x50 with IF. obviously depth of focus is much greater with a 7x50 so i didnt need to adjust them much. i could hold them and turn both ep's while viewing.
the 15x70's focus is quite stiff, they are marked though and checking them both at infinity they are in the same position. they are a little bit dificult to read though when mounted as the markings are on the bottom so im thinking of marking them with white paint or tape on top to aid reference, maybe increments of a hundred yards should help?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back