• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (76 Viewers)

At least 2 firecrest's still at redhouse.

with flock of mixed tits and a linnet. until local sprawk spooked them all. B :)

Zing if Linnet was in woods....was possibly a redpoll!!

At least 60 there today, with 4 crossbill,siskin and woodcock.

Linnet well possible in area , so please, not questioning your sighting but could it have been redpoll???????.Just know those woods so well.

I couldn't find firecrest today,but at least 40 goldcrest,so they might easily be still there.

Thanks to Tim Jones,sent him photo yesterday of bird that threw me;just a very bright and cheerful chiffchaff!!

Thanks Tim!

Paul

Had me going!

Small bird with eyestripe at Redhouse Saturday..just a chiff...but as good a looking one as I've seen in a while!

Attachments

• chiffred.jpg
    chiffred.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 154
thanks Paul,

maybe was a redpoll it was all a bit manic when the sprawk hit!

first thought was linnet but might have been wrong. it just seemed too big for redpoll

cheers.

Had a look. Very nice. Long-tailed duck, walking distance away. Mental!

And it was the only duck on the lake. It's been soooo grim there the last couple of years I wonder why I bother at all (new owners = dog walking, swimming, boats, hates birders) so it's nice to get something decent :eek!:

Last edited:
Not seen any reports recently was hoping it would be around at the weekend :(

Well watched by Stuart and Gary so should be reported if it returns. My interest is where it went between sightings. My guess would be Broomfleet Tile Works as a GND spent time there last winter with out the news getting out [a friend who birds and anglers saw it]. The same bird seen at various side in N.Lincs and E.Yorks.

A flock of about 100 pied wagtails gathered in the trees outside Marks and Spencers on Parliament Street in York between 4.00 and 4.30 this afternoon, right over the Christmas market cabins. From comments of passers-by, this is not an unusual occurrence. Apologies if this is common knowledge but it was a first for me. Martin

I was watching the same thing in Leeds today Martin. They roost in four trees next to the German market in the square and were there last winter too. Also a roost near Leeds bus station last winter, not been down to see this time but heard they're always there.
Always lovely to see.

Jack

any more photos? could well be a Siberian chiffchaff

Don't think sibe! My thoughts were were focused on firecrest,but when caught up with the chiff, seemed fairly brightly coloured ,but 'just' chiffchaff to me.Posted image to a respected birder ..who confirmed!Have a couple more images(poor) if you want to see.

On this photo.....why Siberian??

Paul

Don't think sibe! My thoughts were were focused on firecrest,but when caught up with the chiff, seemed fairly brightly coloured ,but 'just' chiffchaff to me.Posted image to a respected birder ..who confirmed!Have a couple more images(poor) if you want to see.

On this photo.....why Siberian??

Paul

Buff face without obvious yellow, contrast between green-edges to tail and wing feather fringes (and often lower back) and browner tone to rest of upperparts without any real green. Siberian Chiffchaff are not always the monochrome items that many people expect (e.g. based on the first edition of Collins); on current knowledge they vary between really grey and white birds (but still with bright wing and tail fringes and often the rump too), though whether these are really tristis has been debated, through 'typical' birds (as illustrated 2nd edition Collin's), to brighter birds possibly even showing some yellow (again these birds are controversial). My first impression is that this isn't a Siberian. However as i'm using an old laptop and don't trust its colour representations I wouldn't want to say anything definite either way and can see why Johnny raises the possibility. Of course the call would need to be heard for a serious claim of Siberian.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back