• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full Size Bino Help for TOTAL newbie (1 Viewer)

...in my opinion a 10x25 compact has much to be desired over an 8x20 for multi-purpose use. It's slightly larger, but it has more reach and a better twilight factor...

I followed a similar logic when I bought my first premium pocket roof (a Leica 10x25 Trinovid BC). I think the argument had some merit back then and that the 10x25 made up for some of the optical deficiencies of these tiny binoculars. However, the latest pocket roofs are so good, I'm not tempted to use my 10x25 (or a more recent 10x25 model). Instead, I favor the 8x20 for their, in my case, overall equal or superior specs and optics (see below).

With respect to the Leica Trinovid pocket roofs--I find the eye-relief of the 8x20 on the short side for glasses use. Also, the performance of the Trinovid against the light is not nearly as good as the Ultravid or Zeiss Victory, so they often reveal themselves as optically compromised tiny bins (the magic of the Ultravid and latest Victory is how well they manage under tricky lighting conditions). A caution about 10x--the close focus is not nearly as good as the 8x models, thus limiting their utility for butterfly watching. I find this very disappointing, both because I watch butterflies and because pocket roofs have so much potential to be superb for this use. Among the 10x, the Ultravid has the best close focus, and the Trinovid has the worst (it is an irritatingly long, even for some birding, ~16 feet).

--AP

The 8x20 Conquest is a bit of a loser with rubber eye cups, but the optics are impressive enough. If I did not have to pay for them, I would use them. ;)
Eyecup design is always a non-starter issue for me because I never use them. They are always in the fully-down position to accomodate my eyeglasses.

This is not entirely true. My use is more seasonal. I use 8x32s quite a lot, almost half a year pretty much by themselves even in bad weather. In winter I use 10x42s and 8x42s, mainly due to the cloudy weather and the habitat, open field. If I had some alpha glass 8x32, or maybe a Meopta 8x32, I would probably use it most of the time, with the 10x42 occasionally used in fields.
But Tero, You've just supported my basic premise. Based on the seasons, the habitat, and the weather you are using an 8x42 or 10x42. The 8x32 you are using for more everyday use, during the daylight and in good (or at least non-cloudy) weather.

But you can't, I would bet, slip that 8x32 into your pants or shorts pocket to carry everyday and everywhere, no exceptions and no excuses. An 8x20 will do this.

Notice that I did say that the 30mm class of binocular was useless as a compact. It is the 26-28mm binoculars that I consider to be just generally useless alltogether.

Last edited:
For anyone pondering Zeiss Conquest versus Victory 8x20, I strongly recommend steering clear of the Conquest.

I have no argument with you that the Victory is superior in almost every way to the Conquest. (If memory serves, I do believe the Conquest can be folded down into a slightly more compact unit.)

In my case however, it may come down to a matter of basic economics. I simply can't spend more than I have and the Conquest is less expensive and therefore more attainable.

Of course, if I do buy it, I'll sit and ponder what I might have given up by not being just a bit more patient...

But Tero, You've just supported my basic premise. Based on the seasons, the habitat, and the weather you are using an 8x42 or 10x42. The 8x32 you are using for more everyday use, during the daylight and in good (or at least non-cloudy) weather.

We are almost in agreement. I am leaning toward the one binocular solution for most use. It will be something like a 9x36 with wide field.

I almost had a pair in hand that was going to be my benchmark which to improve from, Excursion 8x36 EX. But my unit had a messed up dioter, so back it went.

Prety soon the alphas will be suffering as the mid range cathches up. Only build issues and ergonomics will compete then.

Yes, it IS waterproof.

Leica claims the Trinovid to be "Splashproof, salt-waterproof, according to DIN 58390-73-01-1."

The Ultravids are waterproof to "0.5 bar (up to approx. 5 m water depth)"

I've no idea how those standards compare, but the marketing has definitely stressed the waterproofing of the Ultravids in a way that was never done with teh Trinovids.

--AP

Leica claims the Trinovid to be "Splashproof, salt-waterproof, according to DIN 58390-73-01-1."

I've no idea how those standards compare, but the marketing has definitely stressed the waterproofing of the Ultravids in a way that was never done with teh Trinovids.

Me neither but ...

Perhaps because the latter exceeds JIS 6 (surviving immersion at 1m depth for 5 minutes) and the former doesn't: splashproof isn't immersion and sounds a bit more like JIS 4.

Perhaps this was the standard when the Triovids were introduced comparing say with the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt (the waterproof then later water-resistant bin).

BTW, DIN ISO 9022 seems to be the modern spec to test against. It replaced DIN 58390 in 2000. But there seem to be no Internet copies around.

--AP
The Astronomics ad cited above states that the Trinovids are "shower proof and dust proof" and specifically states "No" under the category "WATERPROOF".
Bob

--AP

Hello!
that's what I meant: ".......salt-WATERPROOF"
The same is true for the little Zeiss Conquests.

They can be used in moist weather (rain, tropics,...) without any problem.

But they are not able to withstand water that exerts a considerable hydrostatic pressure (i.e. they must not be immersed and remain under water for prolongued periods of time).

Trinovids and Zeiss Conquests are not for divers!
Full stop.

It all boils down to the following: if the Trinovids fall into a pond you have to jump in immediately to retrieve them (= you must hope your wristwatch is WATERPROOF), if Ultravids fall into a pond, you can take off your shoes and shirt and fold your clothes neatly and arrange them in the grass before you ... jump in and retrieve your toy (take again attention of your wristwatch).

Why marketing inflates a minor "improvement" in this respect?
guess !! ;)

Tom

Last edited:
Hello!
[...]
Trinovids and Zeiss Conquests are not for divers!
Full stop.
Tom
Not to break up your guy's party, but let me say: this purchase is only going to be one of the newer/better models; and the trinovid and conquest don't fit the bill. Again, the Ultravid, which I would love, and salivate over having the Leica name, is not in contention, unfortunately, due to the premium, doesn't seem realistic. I can find the Zeiss for well under $400, and can't find the ultravid for less than...$650? Maybe? I really don't know. No place that discounts heavily seems to have them. I could possibly squeeze out $450 for an ultravid, as I have heard they are the best compacts ever. Aside from that pipe dream, I am leaning towards either the Victory or the LXL. The LXL I will have to see and hold, to see how large it actually is... looks rather large, and if the Zeiss offers a significant portability advantage, I might just sacrifice image for portability.

We are almost in agreement. I am leaning toward the one binocular solution for most use. It will be something like a 9x36 with wide field.[...]
Tero, I can definitely see the logic behind this. Maybe when I have a job with a car that is nearby, or my behind is parked in one place most of the time, I could follow this outlook, but I'm highly mobile- and unpredictable adventures abound. Thus, I must fracture the field with multiple bins.

I have no argument with you that the Victory is superior in almost every way to the Conquest. (If memory serves, I do believe the Conquest can be folded down into a slightly more compact unit.)

In my case however, it may come down to a matter of basic economics. I simply can't spend more than I have and the Conquest is less expensive and therefore more attainable.

Of course, if I do buy it, I'll sit and ponder what I might have given up by not being just a bit more patient...
Hehe... same feeling here, except it's about the victory vs. the ultravid... sigh, compromises do suck, don't they?

If I were buying today, the Ultravids have a lot of appeal, but Swaros are still not out of the running with updated Swarobright prism coatings. Nikons LX also deserve a look.

Buy for the long term. Enjoy every minute of ownership.

Ed
Really? All the data I've seen (possibly without this update on the swaro) always gave the Swaro high marks for ergonomics, but lost most every contest to other compacts. If there is something I don't know, then stop me from being ignorant!!;)

GenEv;

Because of some of the comments above I now realize that my use of compacts is not as unique as I thought.

Since the mid-late 60’s, if I had my wallet with me, I also had a compact bino in my pocket, mostly 8x20 but sometimes 6x20 or 7x20. These days if I know I am going to be out most of the day I carry the Ultravid and if I do not expect to be out at all I will still carry an old 8x20 Zeiss sometimes because they are even smaller. I use compacts far more than the larger bins. I do use larger bins on weekends or at times when I know I am going to be using more than usual, but even then, I still have compacts in my pocket.

If I had limited funds for binos, most of it would be allocated to the compacts because of the time I use them and the need for smaller optics to be better.

I am glad to see that the use of compacts is more wide spread than I had thought from most posts here.

I would heed the advice of others above and not compromise on your perceived needs and requirements.

Have a good day.

Ron
Yeah, I've found this phenomenon with a lot of products- everyone touts the advantages of larger items, but secretly, or perhaps, a silent majority, quietly enjoy their "compromise" pieces. Big is better, with most everything. Sometimes, however, big just won't work.

GeneralEverything,

Whatever you do, don't compromise on your logic. It is really spot on. Until recently I have carried a pocket binocular (an 8x25 Pentax DCF MC II) with me at all times and it has often proved invaluable at allowing me to truly observe, rather than just look at, whatever had caught my interest. I recently dropped my compact and knocked it severely out of collimation so; I am without until it is either fixed or replaced. I definitely feel naked without it.
[...]
Stick with the 8x20 format and buy the best you can. Even my 8x25 sometimes proved just a tiny bit too big for total comfort. For this reason (and for my desire to better the optical performance of the Pentax) I am leaning toward replacing (rather than fixing) my compact.

Here's my short list:
8x20 Nikon Premier LXL
8x20 Zeiss Victory
8x20 Zeiss Conquest
Good short list. Of course, the field is pretty small when it comes to these things, so saying I've looked at all your choices really means nothing. My vote would be for the LXL, if you were able to carry the 8x25, if uncomfortably. The LXL, from pictures I've seen, looks like I'll need to see it in person before I pass judgment on if it is small enough for me. But aside from size, it is essentially the 2nd best (1st in some ways), with only the $$$ Leica Ultravid beating it.

General

Out of curiosity sake, what do you have on your person in day to day "take it everywhere with me" use? For example just you and your shirt and pants pockets, a small backpack, or perhaps a fanny pack or just what. As you are finding out optics choices are more about balancing a set of strong points against a set of weak points and living with the compromise.
[...]
If you have a pack/fannypack, then judge the size of the spot you will carry the glass in and look for something like the Leupold 6x32 Katmi. Or something else compatible with the size.
My Every Day Carry is, generally, shirt and pants, but usually have a small messenger bag. Problem is, the bag won't be devoted to optics exclusively. It's gotta carry other adventure necessities: GPS, mini first-aid kit, p-cord, camera, multi-tool, flashlight, cell phone, change, pen, pencil, notebook (small), lighter/survival firestarter (I don't smoke), handkerchief, maps of the area, extra batteries, and, ahem, "protection" (of the little foil packet kind). That's what I can remember right now, there might be a little more. On my person, a pocket knife, handkerchief, flashlight (different from earlier one)- sans bag- add the phone and protection.

Binoculars are just another tool I find useful. I explore them and the associated community, and do enjoy such things. However, I like doing a lot of different things, and though I may involve myself with a community, I do not stay wedded to one hobby. Hence my handle, General Everything: I like everything with expensive toys in general, I like to have command of everything, etc. I mostly like to buy once and then never again. I check in on gear every so often, see if the new stuff is worth the money. But I like to have premium gear. It makes me feel I am less vulnerable to technological improvements, and that I actually have taste (yeah, I know, I'm lying to myself o:D).
Cheers,
GenEv

Last edited:
Wow, what an entertaining thread! :t: Welcome to BirdForum, General!

The LXL, from pictures I've seen, looks like I'll need to see it in person before I pass judgment on if it is small enough for me. But aside from size, it is essentially the 2nd best (1st in some ways), with only the $$$ Leica Ultravid beating it.

You pretty much nailed it here. The Ultravids are considered the best by many, but the LXLs (if you can stand [opinion]stupidly located[/opinion] focusing wheel) and the Zeisses are very close and the Victories have even some design advantages. If you can't afford the Leicas, you have no reason to be embarrassed to carry the Zeiss or Nikon (more important is how well you can find and ID the birds).

Don't let the others talk you into buying anything else than true compacts if they are the ones you would carry with you.

Just FYI, here is a nice review and a couple of pics of the LXs and the Victories for size comparison http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Compacts-about-pockets-and-wallets.php

Best regards,

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back