• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Repair options other than the Leica factory? (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

After borrowing back the old Leitz 7x35 Trinovids I gave my hunting buddy's son a long time ago because they were too expensive to repair, I wondered if there were other options other than Leica for cleaning and repairing these great old bins.

Back in 1994 after twenty years of use, I realized I could no longer live with my favorite old bins, they had noticeable black specks inside the lenses, they were out of colimation and generally fuzzy. I sent them back to Leica USA for a repair estimate. The estimate came in at $410.00, this was when you could by a brand new pair of Leica Trinovid BAs for around $600.00 and the new pentax DCF roofs for $350.00. I ended up not repairing the old Trinovids and bought a new pair of 8x42 Pentax DCFs.

I used those Pentax for the last 14 years but never liked them near as much as the old Trinovids. I recently upgraded (a lot), 8x42 Ultravid, 10x42 Nikon SE and 8x32 Trinovid BN, but after using those old Leitz I'm wondering if I give the kid a new pair of bins that would blow him away and keep the 7x35s, could they be fixed for a reasonable amount. I remember reading about some guy who specializes in repairing Swifts at his house, could he or somebody else work on these old Trinovids?

John,
Look at this link. Go to Item 6.
http://company7.com/accused.html

There is a used Leitz 7 x 42 Trinovid listed that was sold a couple of years ago. Note how much it cost to refurbish it. If you are willing to spend that kind of money, you might as well keep yours. I contacted Leica by phone to discuss cleaning my 7 x 42 Leitz. They estimated it would cost $250.00. They also could not guarantee that they would have any replacement parts if needed.

By the way, this is a very interesting optics website.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back