• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difference between Pigeon and Dove (1 Viewer)

I think that, in general, pigeons are larger and spend more time in the trees, while doves are smaller and spend more time on the ground. This seems to be true for the doves and pigeons where I live.

Hello,

Don't know what you've got in Singapore. Around here (northern USA) the word "pigeon" refers to a domestic or feral bird, long ago developed from doves (similar I guess to the way dogs have been developed from wolves); They are plumper, larger,and from years of crossbreeding for colors, greatly varied in plumage. They are officially called "Rock Doves." Our doves, Mourning Doves, are slimmer, faster, and have much less varied plumage. They are wild birds.

Bill

bonfire said:
How do you tell a pigeon from a dove?

There is no difference.

Smaller species tend to be called doves and large species get called pigeons.

There are plenty of confusing overlaps e.g. in Britain Ring Dove is an old name for Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon is the semi-tame version of Rock Dove while attempts to rename Stock Dove as Stock Pigeon have been unsuccessful (and in accurate as the adjective Stock means 'large' as in the word 'stocky' and while Stock Dove is a large dove its a small pigeon).

Like Mike and Dimitris said, there is no difference.

By the way, the Rock Dove is now officially the Rock Pigeon.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back