• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Gull, wetlands slightly inshore (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

Hi All

Screenshot 2016-05-29 16.26.25.png

Spotted what I thought at the time was a Black Headed Gull on a little islet, strangely sitting with some Oystercatchers and Dunlin. Took a couple of snaps from a distance and thought nothing more of it. However, looking through the images after I brought them into Lightroom I took a closer look. Strange head colour, white area adjacent to bill, and what looks to be a brown head - all unusual and not showing in any detail in my Collins guide. So... can someone please let me know if this is a BHG or something else.

Thanks

Black-headed Gull either beginning to turn back to winter plumage or not having fully attained summer plumage, I think. Black-heads do, of course, have brown heads...!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back