• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just a drive through the mountains (1 Viewer)

birdpotter

Nothing big happened today. I took my husband and son for a day long drive up through Vermont along Lake Champlain. It was a gorgeous day for it. A bit of rain, but the light was fantastic.
We stopped at Dead Creek WMA, which looks like nothing at all to the untrained eye. There were the obvious, mallards, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Canada Geese. Looking carefully, I spotted my very first Nothern Pintail (it's about time!) and a pair of Green-winged Teal.
There were a ton of Snow Geese all across the countryside mainly in fields that had been tilled. I got a few good photos from a distance. I was up on a ridge and there were Snow Geese below in a field, some on the ground and others doing some great aerial displays.
Maybe I will post the pictures if they are neat.
Oh, and we saw a Camel. (same one I mentioned once before in a previous thread a few months back when I went searching for a Black-tailed Gull)

Just wanted to share a decent day out.

Best
Elizabeth

Oh Elizabeth, you have no idea how much I miss the mountains of New York State and our occasional trek into Vermont. Thanks for rekindling some memories. ;)

Well, you are most certainly welcome. Did you live in NY long? Why, if I may be ask, did you move?
My husband will be finishing his PhD next year, so we really only have a year left here. He will look at any college in this area just so that we can stay, but the chances of that are slim.
What I am saying is, it is really an amazing place here, with the mountains, the water, the marshes and tons of evergreens and I am going to hate to leave it, if we have to.

Here let me give you another tidbit of memory...
My favorite part about this drive is along the lake on the Vermont side. Especially yesterday, the sun would burst out through the clouds on the other side of the lake over the Adirondacks. And then of course, there was the beginnings of the Green Mountains on the other side. With the lake in the valley, it gave me a wonderful sense of peace. Ahhhh...

birdpotter said:
Nothing big happened today. I took my husband and son for a day long drive up through Vermont along Lake Champlain. It was a gorgeous day for it. A bit of rain, but the light was fantastic.
We stopped at Dead Creek WMA, which looks like nothing at all to the untrained eye. There were the obvious, mallards, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Canada Geese. Looking carefully, I spotted my very first Nothern Pintail (it's about time!) and a pair of Green-winged Teal.
There were a ton of Snow Geese all across the countryside mainly in fields that had been tilled. I got a few good photos from a distance. I was up on a ridge and there were Snow Geese below in a field, some on the ground and others doing some great aerial displays.
Maybe I will post the pictures if they are neat.
Oh, and we saw a Camel. (same one I mentioned once before in a previous thread a few months back when I went searching for a Black-tailed Gull)

Just wanted to share a decent day out.

Best
Elizabeth
It sounds as if you had an excellent trip out Elizabeth,did you take any photographs for our benefit this side of the pond

bobwoodcock said:
It sounds as if you had an excellent trip out Elizabeth,did you take any photographs for our benefit this side of the pond

Thanks, it was lovely.
The only photos I have are of the flock of Snow Geese. The others were just too far away for my camera, which isn't digital, so I will have to wait a bit to get the pictures back on CD and download them and all of that.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back