• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finch, Worcestershire, UK (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:-O
I had a quick glance at the photo what is a poor photo and suggested Corn Bunting without looking into the finer details then after other birds were mentioned I had a look again. You appear to be the type to sit on the fence and back up others birders after many have already stated, You probably don't use the Collins guide that's why you back up others. noted your last to put your name down, usual fence sitter type. I spend plenty of time in the field has has Keith it appears to have birded years and did not pick the species.
Got your name hope to see you make a few I.D's now and prove your not a fence sitter.

i take exception to your accusation that i have sat on the fence. i only visit the birdforum site as time allows and saw this thread due to the debate raging on the upton warrne thread. even if i saw the first post above sooner i would still say linnet. it looks nothing like a corn bunting or goldfinch. i dont need a collins guide to tell me that.

your attitude is staggeringly arrogant. i don't often do picture id because of the problems with screen resolution and single postures etc but you have allienated everyone who has commented because your views differ from the obvious.

reading between the lines on the upton warren thread that you have hijacked, there must be more behind your stance than you are letting on. something to do with middleton lakes i understand. i recall you having seen 2 long tailed skuas there some time back. i trust you have submitted a satisfactory description to the county recorder without looking in the collins :smoke:

I had a quick glance at the photo what is a poor photo and suggested Corn Bunting without looking into the finer details then after other birds were mentioned I had a look again. You appear to be the type to sit on the fence and back up others birders after many have already stated, You probably don't use the Collins guide that's why you back up others. noted your last to put your name down, usual fence sitter type. I spend plenty of time in the field has has Keith it appears to have birded years and did not pick the species.
Got your name hope to see you make a few I.D's now and prove your not a fence sitter.

What's all this got your name nonsense? Are you that chap from Dads Army with your little black book?

Thanks everyone......

Can we ALL now end this thread ...it's a linnet and thanks to everyone for helping me.......I really wanted them to be Corn Buntings....(never seen one).

In closing can I say that I DO get out and about quite a bit.....no where near as much as many on here.....and I take snaps of everything so that hopefully I can work out what I have seen.
Couldn't tell in this case so mistakenly asked on the upton site as I know that almost everyone there are mega birders...I am just someone who likes to just get out the house and try and see wildlife.I admit I am not very good at birdwatching despite taking part for over 55 years.....just like I cannot cook after taking part for the same time.
I did not know about this I.D. section as I am even worse at all these computer type things and do not go searching here there and everywhere.

I thought all I did was ask for an I.D. and am sorry I had unwittingly started a feud.....

They were poor snaps.....see original below.....but in my defence I was in a butterfly hunting mode and was rushing to Grafton wood for the hairstreaks and also looking to meet up with pals.With the big lens on one camera (with a Tube) and a macro on another camera - both around my neck....I saw these birds in the middle distance and quickly got ring off and took the snap ,hand held and panting....so a not very good snap.

Got another one for an I.D. so will put it on here and hopefully it will not cause havoc...:-O

Cheers
Keith :t:

Attachments

• I.D..jpg
    I.D..jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 102
Long tailed Skuas

:-O

i take exception to your accusation that i have sat on the fence. i only visit the birdforum site as time allows and saw this thread due to the debate raging on the upton warrne thread. even if i saw the first post above sooner i would still say linnet. it looks nothing like a corn bunting or goldfinch. i dont need a collins guide to tell me that.

your attitude is staggeringly arrogant. i don't often do picture id because of the problems with screen resolution and single postures etc but you have allienated everyone who has commented because your views differ from the obvious.

reading between the lines on the upton warren thread that you have hijacked, there must be more behind your stance than you are letting on. something to do with middleton lakes i understand. i recall you having seen 2 long tailed skuas there some time back. i trust you have submitted a satisfactory description to the county recorder without looking in the collins :smoke:

I'm entiltled as much as anyone else to view and make comments on Worceshireshire threads and Upton Warren thread.
The long-tailed Skua records have been excepted I did look at the Collins guide, however your the only birder I know who does not believe he needs to reference the Collins guide.
The only comments I have responded to yourself you asked about the date of the bird fair at middleton Hall but that year it was cancelled. You also made comments about the RSPB hide at Middleton lakes as being over expensive.

Bird I.D

Thanks everyone......

Can we ALL now end this thread ...it's a linnet and thanks to everyone for helping me.......I really wanted them to be Corn Buntings....(never seen one).

In closing can I say that I DO get out and about quite a bit.....no where near as much as many on here.....and I take snaps of everything so that hopefully I can work out what I have seen.
Couldn't tell in this case so mistakenly asked on the upton site as I know that almost everyone there are mega birders...I am just someone who likes to just get out the house and try and see wildlife.I admit I am not very good at birdwatching despite taking part for over 55 years.....just like I cannot cook after taking part for the same time.
I did not know about this I.D. section as I am even worse at all these computer type things and do not go searching here there and everywhere.

I thought all I did was ask for an I.D. and am sorry I had unwittingly started a feud.....

They were poor snaps.....see original below.....but in my defence I was in a butterfly hunting mode and was rushing to Grafton wood for the hairstreaks and also looking to meet up with pals.With the big lens on one camera (with a Tube) and a macro on another camera - both around my neck....I saw these birds in the middle distance and quickly got ring off and took the snap ,hand held and panting....so a not very good snap.

Got another one for an I.D. so will put it on here and hopefully it will not cause havoc...:-O

Cheers
Keith :t:

That's no problem Keith all you have asked for is bird I.D what comments are made by other people just reflects on their personality.

Regards, John

I'm entiltled as much as anyone else to view and make comments on Worceshireshire threads and Upton Warren thread.
The long-tailed Skua records have been excepted I did look at the Collins guide, however your the only birder I know who does not believe he needs to reference the Collins guide.
The only comments I have responded to yourself you asked about the date of the bird fair at middleton Hall but that year it was cancelled. You also made comments about the RSPB hide at Middleton lakes as being over expensive.

is this collins guide you refer to written by jackie by any chance?

John, your so out of order on both threads. If you were to look back to these threads in a years time perhaps you might see what a few of us are saying.

This is a bird that you didn't need a Collins guide to ID as it was so obvious a Linnet. I didn't need two seconds to ID it and I guess most who ID'd it were the same.

What was so incredulous was your stance against the ID given when if you had studied the bird you would have realised that you were wrong and the others were right. I'm afraid you had tunnel vision on this one and you have to accept that.

You have come down heavy handed on both threads which in turn has resulted in getting heated replies.

The ID has been given and accepted so I say let the thread rest now as no good can come from arguing the toss, or belittling others.

John

All those birders who put input onto the finch discussion all make mistakes on birds and I.D.
Your the only one who gets it right eveytime, but it's only in your mind.

It would be interesting to see the results of a "Poll" on Middleton Lakes - something along the lines of ...

Would you like to see Middleton Lakes on three threads (two counties, and one "area"). I'm guessing that West Midlands is being used as an "area" and not a "county".

OR

Would you prefer to see one thread for Middleton Lakes.

I know which way I would vote - one thread. For unusual birds, just say which part of the reserve the bird was seen. That would leave people ITK to deduce which county.

All those birders who put input onto the finch discussion all make mistakes on birds and I.D.
Your the only one who gets it right eveytime, but it's only in your mind.

its this sort of attitude that gets peoples backs up.

as Reader has put above, time to move on but you have lost the plot on this one and does not reflect favorably on you regarding future birdforum posts.

we are all entitled to opinions on here but it is how you respond to others with your rudeness which is most objectional.

Bird I.D

John, your so out of order on both threads. If you were to look back to these threads in a years time perhaps you might see what a few of us are saying.

This is a bird that you didn't need a Collins guide to ID as it was so obvious a Linnet. I didn't need two seconds to ID it and I guess most who ID'd it were the same.

What was so incredulous was your stance against the ID given when if you had studied the bird you would have realised that you were wrong and the others were right. I'm afraid you had tunnel vision on this one and you have to accept that.

You have come down heavy handed on both threads which in turn has resulted in getting heated replies.

The ID has been given and accepted so I say let the thread rest now as no good can come from arguing the toss, or belittling others.

John

John,
You will find photgraphers know more about common Birds than we do, I need to check my guides for the finer details and Collins guide saying Linnet has a dark Grey Bill and Keith's photo although not clear, to me does not show a darker bill. So ? for me there.
Although most on here identified the bird on general gis alone.

Regards, John

Middleton Lakes

It would be interesting to see the results of a "Poll" on Middleton Lakes - something along the lines of ...

Would you like to see Middleton Lakes on three threads (two counties, and one "area"). I'm guessing that West Midlands is being used as an "area" and not a "county".

OR

Would you prefer to see one thread for Middleton Lakes.

I know which way I would vote - one thread. For unusual birds, just say which part of the reserve the bird was seen. That would leave people ITK to deduce which county.

Alan,
I started the threads on the Warwickshire and Staffordshire forums as the Reserve encompasses these 2 Counties, I put a thread on the West Midlands forum which covers the Modern County of the West Midlands as there is a big population there and close to the Reserve. I asked Geoff Williams to post on there as he lives in the West Midlands County and is not that concerned about the County Boundaries. The Middleton lakes West midlands forum has been developed to it's current popular status by Geoff Williams.

Regards, John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back