• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Amongst a large roving flock of mixed Tits and Warblers at my local reservoirs this morning, and a couple of things are confusing me.

It was making a single note call for about 5 minutes, while hoping around the bush feeding on Flies. I've not heard that call before, which is what drew me to the bush. It looked like a Chiffchaff, but seemed a bit smaller, and it had a very short tail.

I thought perhaps a moulting Chiffchaff, and the tail was still moulting; although I've still not heard that call before.

I couldn't get too close to the bush without spooking the flock, and the bird wouldn't stay still for more than a second, so not the best of pictures. Oh, and I've just cropped and resized for upload

Thanks

(I'm having one of those days when most birds look odd; it started with a Kestrel with a dark breast ;) So I won't be surprised if this is a Chiffchaff)

Attachments

• P1400912Rpf900.JPG
    P1400912Rpf900.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 178
  • P1400854Rpf900.JPG
    P1400854Rpf900.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 161
  • P1400848Rpf900.JPG
    P1400848Rpf900.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 156
Thanks for replying.

I guess that if the size, short tail, and call are OK, then it must be a Chiffchaff.

Chiffchaff

Amongst a large roving flock of mixed Tits and Warblers at my local reservoirs this morning, and a couple of things are confusing me.

It was making a single note call for about 5 minutes, while hoping around the bush feeding on Flies. I've not heard that call before, which is what drew me to the bush. It looked like a Chiffchaff, but seemed a bit smaller, and it had a very short tail.

I thought perhaps a moulting Chiffchaff, and the tail was still moulting; although I've still not heard that call before.

I couldn't get too close to the bush without spooking the flock, and the bird wouldn't stay still for more than a second, so not the best of pictures. Oh, and I've just cropped and resized for upload

Thanks

(I'm having one of those days when most birds look odd; it started with a Kestrel with a dark breast ;) So I won't be surprised if this is a Chiffchaff)

Hi Chris,
Birds bred this year can make a variety of calls some even resembling Siberian Chiffchaff. More details on Gulls of the west midlands wiith a section on Chiffchaffs.

Regards, John

Thanks again. Not being a "birder", I like to check any bird that's a bit different; although my first guess is often right for t common species ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back