• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question: The Yellow-tailed Thornbill in New York? (1 Viewer)

Piucca

I observed a bird similar in size, color, and behavior that when researching looks just like
the Yellow-tailed Thornbill, who is native to Australia.
So since I hope it is not the Yellow-tailed Thornbill, because they should not be here I would
like to know what it is. Sadly no photos as I was afraid to scare them off when fetching it.

Head: Dusty dark brown
Wings: Dusty dark brown with one, maybe two strips grey/white in color
Under Belly: Light grey
Tail: Dusty dark brown with a set of bright yellow (fins?)
Size: Small, tiny, adorable
Song: Short bursts separated by a pause
Behavior: Jumping from one open branch to another until it's friend came along,
to which they both made short burst tweets and hopped around each other.
The the original one made a display by scrunching in
towards it self and fanning out it's wings. They were very quick when moving, singing, flying.
Time: September afternoon
Where: Long Island New York (Northeast America)

Welcome to BirdForum. Your bird is most likely a Yellow-rumped Warbler. These are quite variable in appearance but always have a square yellow patch at the base of the tail. They're quite a likely bird to find in your area. Another possibility would be a female/ immature American Redstart, which has two yellow patches at the base of the tail, one on either side.

Hello Piucca,

Agree that it is likely some species of new world warbler. Exactly where on tail the yellow is, would be helpful to know - perhaps you could better describe what you mean by 'fins' of yellow.

Peter C.

American Redstart is so very similar.
But from what I had seen the yellow went all the way to the tip.
Thank you all so very much.

I'll stick to it was an American Redstart

Yes, if it was flashing yellow by opening its tail, then American Redstart would probably be your bird.

You may have been given the impression that the yellow went farther than it did, because the colour is so startling a contrast to the rest of the tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back