• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid Collared Dove? (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

I've just been going through my old home videos and putting them onto dvd. I came across a clip of a collared dove which came into the garden back in 2001, completely forgotten, before I was computer literate so that's my excuse. When it first arrived, I thought it was a ferral pigeon, but the grey collar can clearly be seen. (The white isn't so clear in this screen capture, but it was very striking at the time, and more so in the film itself) So do they inter-breed, or is this just a fluke of nature do you think? here

or here

Sorry these are so small, I've no idea why, they are half screen size on my computer :C

Last edited:
Hi songbird, i dont think its a hybrid, more a case of a touch of leucism.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sadly the bird never returned after that one visit. Collared doves are hawks favourite dinners at the best of times, anything unusual probably has no chance. :(

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back