• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Swallow in the Netherlands (1 Viewer)

TwoDipsfromAmsterdam

Anything About?
At about 07:30 (CET) today I watched a Barn Swallow fly north over the River Lek near Vianen in the Netherlands. It was strikingly chestnut red underneath from throat back to tail. This would appear to be an example of either of the two Middle Eastern sub-species savignii or transitiva. Not having experience of either I wouldn't like to opt for one or the other. But I would welcome any thoughts on this apparent occurence - to what extent do either of these turn up in Europe?

A few "ordinary" Swallows were passing through around the same time although they were all headed east. A significant number of newly-arrived Whitethroats were in the area as was a Common Redstart and a few Northern Wheatears. The weather recently has been dominated by high pressure with clear skies, warm temperatures and light south-easterly winds.

Grateful for any thoughts and comments.

David

I am sure Dutch twitchers know more than I do (or have more to say ;) ).

These birds are thought to be aberrant European swallows, and there is apparently no certain way to identify a vagrant North African race in the field.

Thanks - that's helpful and I did wonder if that might be the case. As far as your comments about Dutch twitchers are concerned; "You may say that, I couldn't possibly comment"! ;)

David

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back