• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best way to learn to ID birds? (1 Viewer)

jamerbean

Country Bird in the City
Sorry if this has already been answered, I couldn't seem to word it in a way for the search engine to give me any relevant older threads.

Is it better to learn to ID birds just by going out and watching and identifying after the fact based on what you've seen (or photos), or is it better to try to learn field marks, habitats, behavior, calls, etc before going out and trying to find them?

Perhaps a little better phrased: Will trying to memorize identifiers help my birding, or is it something that you just have to see to really become familiar with?

Do both!

When you're "in the field" pay close attention to the birds you see, taking in as much as possible before turning to a guide to assist in ID...and in between sessions, study your guide to familiarize yourself with the identifying details of birds likely to be seen in your area (and recordings of their calls, if you're learning to bird by ear).

Will trying to memorize identifiers help my birding, or is it something that you just have to see to really become familiar with?

Yes, memorization will definitely help your birding, and studying a field guide and memorizing field marks can make you a better birder. Often you'll get only a fleeting glimpse of a bird, and you'll only be able to focus on the relevant features at the time if you know what they are beforehand. But there's a lot to learn and even expert birders can't always remember everything, so don't think you have to learn everything at once. Applying field marks to photos after the fact, or checking a guide while in the field, are also often a good way to help remember things. Going birding on trips with your local club can also be a good way to increase your knowledge.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back