• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow Tailed Kites (1 Viewer)

scottishdude

Leave the world slightly better than you found it,
Last year I was fortunate enough to go to the Everglades in Florida, where I managed to photograph 2 Swallow tailed kites. One of them actually swooped down and grabbed Spanish vine from about 20feet above my head.

This year I went to Tampa instead, I couldn't believe my luck when the park ranger told me that a Swallow tailed kite had been seen earlier that day. Can you imagine how thrilled I was to capture these pictures 30 minutes later

I have a few more which I will boar you with some other time

If there is no file attachment with this, then I have done something wrong... please check out the Forum dtatbase to see them

cheers

Jamie

Attachments

• swallow tailed kite copy.jpg
    swallow tailed kite copy.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 211
  • swallow tailed kite5 copy.jpg
    swallow tailed kite5 copy.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 198
  • swallow tailed kite0 copy.jpg
    swallow tailed kite0 copy.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 228
  • mating swallow tailed kites.jpg
    mating swallow tailed kites.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
great pictures of one of my favourites. Ive been spending a lot of time trying to get it on my yard list but no luck as yet but I did see one yesterday whilst I was working along the St Marks river. They are common here from mid-march and you can see them everyday but I dont think I'll ever tire of watching them, they are one of the best. Thanks for the pics, I wont be bored of future postings. B :)

Indiana

scottishdude said:
Last year I was fortunate enough to go to the Everglades in Florida, where I managed to photograph 2 Swallow tailed kites. One of them actually swooped down and grabbed Spanish vine from about 20feet above my head.

This year I went to Tampa instead, I couldn't believe my luck when the park ranger told me that a Swallow tailed kite had been seen earlier that day. Can you imagine how thrilled I was to capture these pictures 30 minutes later

I have a few more which I will boar you with some other time

If there is no file attachment with this, then I have done something wrong... please check out the Forum dtatbase to see them

cheers

Jamie

Last year I saw a swallow tailed kite in northern Indiana (by the dunes). I believe it was the first time for Indiana. Some birders I talked to said they think the bird got confused from the hurricanes and somehow appeared in Indiana. We all got an awesome sight of it. What a beautiful bird!
Beth

Oh my gosh! Always thrilled at photos of bird sex - guess I'm a voyeur! Great photos - hope I can manage to see these lovely birds someday. Barbara

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back