• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Canon body? (1 Viewer)

tch

Hello all. I have become interested in photographing birds and have a bit of experience using a 35mm (Nikon FE and various lenses). I also have a Canon point-and-shoot for emailing snaps but I am really a newbie to serious (in my case semi-serious) digital photography. Thanks to hours of research, much of it on this forum, I have decided the Canon 100-400mm is the perfect lens for me. I decided based on online research but went to the store and looked the lens over in person... I like it. I thank you for helping me select it although you didn't know it at the time.

The body choices are much less obvious to me. Clearly, the 30D has the best build quality. Anyone who has handled them all can tell you that much. But the price difference! Yikes! I can get an XT for $500 but a 30D is $1000. Twice the price? Really? OK, it has some improvements like spot metering but most of the improvements seem minor to me. It isn't that I can't afford the 30D it is just that I don't see it as twice the camera the XT is and as a devoted cheapskate I hate to spend money unnecessarily. ;) Is the 30D that much better or are one of the others the optimum choice?

I don't want the kit lens. I thought the Sigma 17-70 http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-70mm...0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183172163&sr=8-1
might be a good choice to replace it.
Naturally, I would be happy to hear any other suggestions. Thanks!

I have not used a 30D, so I cannot give any comment. All I know is it is of a better built, with a supposedly more durable shutter, a bigger screen, 9 point AF and 5 FPS over the XT and what you have said, spot metering. However, I have used the XT and XTi. While the XT is not bad, I found the XTi has certain advantages over the XT. It got the same 9 point AF as the 30D, the screen is much brighter and clearer than the XT, and it has got 10 MP too. So I would better opt for the XTi. If you really decide to take the 30D, you can wait for 2 to 3 months to see what its upgrade will come up, and by then the price of 30D should come down a bit too.
Hope someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I recently got an XTi after deciding I would rather have a cheaper body and better lenses than to get the 30D and one medicore lens.

I am very happy with my choice

Hello tch. On behalf of all the staff and moderators, welcome to Birdforum.Enjoy yourself here. Please feel free to join in whenever you feel like it.

Hi and welcome to BF

As others have already pointed out the Xti is a better camera than the Xt, definitely wort the little bit more it costs. However whether the 30D is worth all that extra money is a much harder question. To be honest all three are capable of producing excellent results and you'll not see any real difference in image quality. The 30D is a better camera, but the advantages only really show if you are willing to put the time into learning how to use it. If you only want to use it in the basic modes there is no advantage to paying the extra money IMO. I use the Xt and the Xti and think they are both great cameras, they are however quite small so it might be worth trying one first to check you'd be happy with the small size (many prefer the larger size of the 30D).

I have been using the 100-400 combo with the 30D for about 2 months now, and am very happy. I had the 350D before (I guess that's the Rebel) in the states, and it was not a bad camera. However, the 30D is better in a lot of aspect: FPS, focusing (especially in bad light), build, and a sense of overall quality.

Thanks to all who responded and particularly to those who pointed out that the XTi (400D) is a better camera than the XT (350D) for little extra money and the reasons why. I agree. I will likely get the XTi (400D) as I can't quite make the leap to the 30D. There is only one specific reason I can see to get the 30D and that is spot metering. Reasons like "feel" and "build quality" are rather murky and while the would tip the scale in a comparison of similar products with similar prices I just can't convince myself to go another $350 for the 30D.

There is only one specific reason I can see to get the 30D and that is spot metering. Reasons like "feel" and "build quality" are rather murky and while the would tip the scale in a comparison of similar products with similar prices I just can't convince myself to go another $350 for the 30D.

I know it's been pointed out but don't forget the 5fps

A huge Red-Tailed Hawk landed in my yard about 20 yards away and It nearly killed me that I didn't have a decent camera available. That pushed me over the edge. So the Canon 400D plus 100-400 and the Sigma 17-70 (in place of the kit lens) arrive tomorrow. No doubt my first victims will be birds at my feeders and birdbath. If anyone has suggestions for initial settings or tips to help a fledgling digital photographer get off on the right foot, they would be gratefully received.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back