• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous or Allen's (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Hi all,

I have had only one confirmed Allen's, so very skittish. Although the rectrices are worn, I read R2 as being a HY female. R5 is missing the outer half but the inner part seems thin. Also, ALHU have more black between the white and the rufous which this bird shows. Any takers? Photographed the first week of September in Phoenix.

Matt

Attachments

• JV8A1826 tail2.jpg
    JV8A1826 tail2.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 47
The tail looks good for Allen's, with the outer two retrices quite narrow, and the uniform shape of the feathers with no notches near the tip.

thx Silverwolf

I have been doing some more research and am more convinced than yesterday. Note the Stiles work on R2 which matches your description.

This bird is definitely an AHY female. With that premise, R2 should have a pinched end for a AHYF Rufous (top right of matrix).

thanks for the commentary

Attachments

• AHY F R2.jpg
    AHY F R2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 49
  • JV8A1826 tail.jpg
    JV8A1826 tail.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Rufous matrix 2.jpg
    Rufous matrix 2.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back