• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragon for ID, UK (1 Viewer)

In addition to the dark brown body, going on its anal appendage I'd say it was a female, and guess it is a mature one as its starting to show blue on the abdomen.

Simon

Last edited:
Sorry 'User', Tractorboy is correct and this is a very mature female. Old female dragonflies often develop colours that are more typical of males - and August 16th is a late date for B-b C.
The shape of the abdominal appendages is the most reliable thing to look at when sexing old (or young) dragonflies.

Roy.

Sorry 'User', Tractorboy is correct and this is a very mature female. Old female dragonflies often develop colours that are more typical of males - and August 16th is a late date for B-b C.
The shape of the abdominal appendages is the most reliable thing to look at when sexing old (or young) dragonflies.

Roy.

No need to be sorry RoyW...I have learnt something new so am quite happy to be proven wrong! Never knew that older females could adopt male colouration like that...i have never seen it...[or perhaps i have unknowingly and id'd sex incorrectly]!

ps...i enjoy the education on my relatively new found passion of dragonflies and welcome 'pitfalls' being highlighted! Its what its all about...be it dragons..birds...or anything else....

pps...out of interest....i take your..[and tractorboys]..point about 'appendages'....but are these said appendages ever 'altered/worn' with age?...i presume...not!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back