• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

What is your Upton bird of the year?

As the kingfisher debate is getting rather heated could I suggest a new topic now that we are coming to the end of the year? My choice would be the Redstart: it was the bird I had to do most work to see this summer. This may surprise Upton regulars since it seems everyone else only had to visit the Flashes or even peer out of the car window on the A38. I had about eight weeks of visits when it was seen just before I arrived or just after I left. Eventually through the good offices of our birdfinder extraordinaire (aka Woodchat) I managed to see two along the hedge at the far side of the Transmitter field.

So which bird meant most to you?

Peter

Good call Peter! Please no one say Kingfisher 8-P
It was the Hoopoe that meant the most to me, mainly because of Dave's repeated shouting of the birds name in an ever rising pitch !!

Last edited:

As the kingfisher debate is getting rather heated could I suggest a new topic now that we are coming to the end of the year? My choice would be the Redstart: it was the bird I had to do most work to see this summer. This may surprise Upton regulars since it seems everyone else only had to visit the Flashes or even peer out of the car window on the A38. I had about eight weeks of visits when it was seen just before I arrived or just after I left. Eventually through the good offices of our birdfinder extraordinaire (aka Woodchat) I managed to see two along the hedge at the far side of the Transmitter field.

Peter

Common Tern for me. Not a difficult bird to see I know but I really look forward to seeing them return in the spring-such great flyers. And one bird in particular impressed me most. One I nicknamed Stumpybum as it had been attacked I think & had no tail at all, most of one leg chewed off & an injury on it's chest. I watched it catching fish & even trying to pair up. After it disappeared from UW I heard reports of it at Belvide & Bittell. Wonder if it made it through!

And right to do so Gert. All these actions need examination whether it is perches, planting, siting of hides, bird feeders, cutting back growth & all the other interventions that take place in the management of a reserve.

Rob

Well said Rob. Nice to hear a well-balanced and, may I say, level-headed viewpoint.

Good call Peter! Please no one say Kingfisher 8-P
It was the Hoopoe that meant the most to me, mainly because of Dave's repeated shouting of the birds name in an ever rising pitch !!

I remember it well, Gert. What a day that was! - only just out-done by the Bluethroat. That was the ultimate!

Peter

That , too, was a special moment for me Pete. Redstarts are brilliant birds wherever you find them but extra special at UW. I manage to see one or two most years but this year was spectacular for a few weeks with their constant presence around the flashes / transmitter field. Unless you knew where to look they could be difficult, however. This is the case with so many special species.:t:

Common Tern for me. Not a difficult bird to see I know but I really look forward to seeing them return in the spring-such great flyers. And one bird in particular impressed me most. One I nicknamed Stumpybum as it had been attacked I think & had no tail at all, most of one leg chewed off & an injury on it's chest. I watched it catching fish & even trying to pair up. After it disappeared from UW I heard reports of it at Belvide & Bittell. Wonder if it made it through!

I remember that bird. I think it was also seen at Earlswood lakes

My Upton bird of the year is Hobby! Having only been down 5 times this year! One low over our heads at the North Moors in June is so far my Upton highlight!

I'm back for 3 weeks tomorrow so can hopefully pull something out to change this before the end of the year!

What a stupid comment? Of course I care about the welfare and conservation of all UK wildlife that's why I like many others have voluntarily increased our monthly subscriptions to the WWT 2 fold to help 'pay' the bills! I trust you have too? ... It goes without saying that any member who bothers to register on this forum cares about their welfare and conservation - to suggest otherwise is, well 'stupid'! Anyway - all we are talking about is putting up a few perches for a Kingfisher so that we can enjoy seeing them close to and photographing them to show others! If it's a big problem I can soon poke some sticks in the bank for them - it takes five minutes!!!

The first murmerings of this diatribe seem to suggest that the author has a huge 'holier than thou' complex. To make such glib statements and question one of Upton Warren's stalwart Volunteer Wardens is nothing short of ridiculous. Then to use said complex to substantiate such claptrap as "...any member who bothers to register on this forum cares about their welfare and conservation..." beggars belief. So the author doesn't think that there may be egg collectors registered on the Forum who lurk, waiting for the odd snippet of information suggesting rare species breeding at certain locations throughout the country? Stupid indeed!
Then to have the audacity to make claims such as "Anyway - all we are talking about is putting up a few perches for a Kingfisher so that we can enjoy seeing them close to and photographing them to show others!" Or sell them to the general public in the author's case.
"If it's a big problem I can soon poke some sticks in the bank for them - it takes five minutes!!!" Unless the author would like to come along to the next work party when they're scheduled to be working in the area of the East Moors hide, he/she would be ill advised to consider such actions arbitrarily as he/she would risk instant eviction from the Reserve.

Last edited:
What is your Upton bird of the year?... So which bird meant most to you? Peter

Well Peter; what a jolly good idea for a topic of conversation.
I agree, the Redstart was illusive and getting a semi-decent shot of the little blighter on 3rd August certainly made my Summer. Until then my attempts had looked something like the attached image.
I also concur with Woodchat that the Bluethroat was a highlight albeit a "four hours getting very sunburnt in the car park-type" of highlight!
However, for me the bird that tested my ornithological skills to the limit and took the most fieldcraft and patience to spot (given it's superb camouflage and diminutive stature) would have to be the GWE! - Well you started it! :-O
Joking apart, the sight of Woodchat sprinting down the path to the East Hide to secure the Reserve's highest calendar year species count was a joy to behold and an image that I will take to my grave. Here's to next year's highlights...

Attachments

• Redstart_male 3_resize.jpg
    Redstart_male 3_resize.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Peter

For me its something that turns up every year and that was a Sedge Warbler that seem to like spending its time in front of the now dismantled hide on the flashes its seem to be posing.

However I never seem to get down their when there is a rare bird present but there's always next year, and next year I am joining the trust so I can't get caught to pay more money.

My choice would be the Redstart: it was the bird I had to do most work to see this summer. This may surprise Upton regulars since it seems everyone else only had to visit the Flashes or even peer out of the car window on the A38. I had about eight weeks of visits when it was seen just before I arrived or just after I left. Eventually through the good offices of our birdfinder extraordinaire (aka Woodchat) I managed to see two along the hedge at the far side of the Transmitter field.

Peter

So many to choose from:

- As Gert has already commented, Dave's ever growing crescendo of shouts as the Hoopoe flew over the Moors Pool (contrasted to Spoonbill Finder's glum face as he failed to pick it up)
- Taking my eyes off the Flashes for a second and looking back to find a Spoonbill there!
- The potential the reserve and its surrounding fields have as demonstrated by the prolonged sightings of elegant Redsarts.
- The amazing site of two Red-necked Phalaropes feeeding in unison on the Flashes.
- The heart-sinking news of a Bluethroat near the Hen Pool whilst I was in Lincolnshire and the nervous wait the following morning until jackpot!!
- The annual battle against all the odds for the LRP chicks

I am just putting the photographs together for the 2011 Annual Report - does anyone have any good shots of the two phalaropes together or any of the Redstarts?

Peter

Wow far too many to mention, thanks to the amazing regulars at upton I have bagged over 20 lifers this year but I suppose if I had to go for just one then it would be the Garden Warbler, it took weeks to connect, and as usual it was thanks to Dave (Woodchat) that I finally did.
Not far from the secret garden as we were just strolliong past Dave stopped us in our tracks and pointed one out. It was no more than 20 foot from us perched on a branch and singing the most beautiful song I can remember, a truely wonderful birding moment for me, cheers Dave :t:

And as for that comment dissing John, what an utterly ridiculous diatribe, if they knew the first thing about JB they would know that he is the heart and soul of the reserve, his enthusiasm cannot be matched, and I know for a fact that he is the first to offer help to anybody that needs it. Can the same be said for the poster of that drivel :C

Kingfisher perchs

Further to some of the posts last night I can only reiterate my previous comment. The issue of missing Kingfisher perches will be dealt with when the work parties are next working in that area of the reserve, rather than prioritising them on an ad hoc basis. At the minute there is a tremendous volume of work going on the improve the habitat across the Moors Pool as seen by the activity around the North Moors, the area opposite Lifestyles and the hedge works along the westerm boundary. All of these are designed to increase the diversification of birds, insects and flowers (including targeting key species such as Willow Warbler) and will, through their very nature of removing old, tired, bushy growth, improve viewing opportunities. At this time of year the work parties need to prioritise their time to take advantage of the lower water levels, lack of active growth etc.

The Moors' work party in particular devotes a lot of time to improving photographic opportunities - the daily maintenance of the feeding station by Paul Moseley, the cutting back of the reeds in front of the West Hide and Concretre Hide to make natural runs for the Water Rail, improvement works to the Concrete Hide planned / undertaken by the Trust etc together with the cutting of the reeds in front of the Hen Pool hide.

We now have a hard core of 35-40 volunteers who regularly contribute to the Moors and Flashes' work parties with a complete range of ages (God bless Terry Norledge still working like a trojan in his 80s), birdwatching experience / interest, practical conversation knowledge etc. What they all have is enthusiasm and a desire to maintain and improve Upton Warren. The contribution to these work parties by photographers eg Sy V and Binus means that a range of view points and requirements are factored into the work programmes.

In addition to the enormous contribution made through these regular work parties, further work is undertaken by volunteers in wardening the reserve (although this will never replace our long-term goal of having a full time dedicated warden), undertaking ad hoc work parties as the situation demands, liasing with the Trust and their contractors, undertaking breeding bird surveys and counts, undertaking water samples, writing management plans, devising new and innovative alterations to the reserve, late night wardening to protect Schedule 1 breeding species etc etc. Many of the participants have been involved far longer than the 14 years I have contributed and have invested a great deal of their own time, money and emotional energy in striving to make Upton Warren as good a reserve as is possible within its limitations.

Last edited:

Peter
best bird for me was the single fledged lapwing. I hope this is the start of that species revival. I am a bit biassed as lapwing is my favourite bird. Robs photo captures their beauty in one shot:t:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/forgetfulelephant/5580841080/in/pool-1847974@N22/

Further to some of the posts last night I can only reiterate my previous comment. The issue of missing Kingfisher perches will be dealt with when the work parties are next working in that area of the reserve, rather than prioritising them on an ad hoc basis. At the minute there is a tremendous volume of work going on the improve the habitat across the Moors Pool as seen by the activity around the North Moors, the area opposite Lifestyles and the hedge works along the westerm boundary. All of these are designed to increase the diversification of birds, insects and flowers (including targeting key species such as Willow Warbler) and will, through their very nature of removing old, tired, bushy growth, improve viewing opportunities. At this time of year the work parties need to prioritise their time to take advantage of the lower water levels, lack of active growth etc.

The Moors' work party in particular devotes a lot of time to improving photographic opportunities - the daily maintenance of the feeding station by Paul Moseley, the cutting back of the reeds in front of the West Hide and Concretre Hide to make natural runs for the Water Rail, improvement works to the Concrete Hide planned / undertaken by the Trust etc together with the cutting of the reeds in front of the Hen Pool hide.

We now have a hard core of 35-40 volunteers who regularly contribute to the Moors and Flashes' work parties with a complete range of ages (God bless Terry Norledge still working like a trojan in his 80s), birdwatching experience / interest, practical conversation knowledge etc. What they all have is enthusiasm and a desire to maintain and improve Upton Warren. The contribution to these work parties by photographers eg Sy V and Binus means that a range of view points and requirements are factored into the work programmes.

In addition to the enormous contribution made through these regular work parties, further work is undertaken by volunteers in wardening the reserve (although this will never replace our long-term goal of having a full time dedicated warden), undertaking ad hoc work parties as the situation demands, liasing with the Trust and their contractors, undertaking breeding bird surveys and counts, undertaking water samples, writing management plans, devising new and innovative alterations to the reserve, late night wardening to protect Schedule 1 breeding species etc etc. Many of the participants have been involved far longer than the 14 years I have contributed and have invested a great deal of their own time, money and emotional energy in striving to make Upton Warren as good a reserve as is possible within its limitations.

Hear, Hear! From a member/photographer who IS grateful for the tremendous efforts of everyone, THANKS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back