• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE AZ hummer (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
caught this bird at San Pedro River at the end of November. I have a lot of Anna's in my yard and this just doesn't look like one. I posted it in the general ID forum without any response. Can someone help me?

Attachments

• hummer.jpg
    hummer.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 81
I'm probably wrong but wonder if it could be a juvenile Magnificent Hummingbird?
We need Sherry Williamson to come weigh in.

thanks for the response

Magnificent is a very large bird, this individual was small and chunky

after making that comment I thought about a either a Calliope or a Broad-tailed and am now leaning to a Broad-tailed. I have a confirmed shot of one that I attached.

Attachments

• BTAH f.jpg
    BTAH f.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Couldn't tell his size from the photo. But if small and chunky you are probably correct. The amount of green on the chest was steering me in my direction.

Looks like an Anna's to me. They're quite variable, especially in fall when you've got adults and juveniles in various stages of wear and molt. Magnificent females are long and slim, with proportionally long bills and long, notched tails.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back