• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Received Genesis 8.5x44 today..Swarovision sent back (1 Viewer)

Tmblweed1

For me the Kowa won out. I found it better or equal in the things that matter most to me..clarity, sharpness, brightness and color
reproduction. The Swaro's had a very slight red tint to my eyes and were not quite as bright. Plus, the Genesis were only $729.00 from EO. I will say the focus knob is a bit rough on my fingers but that will pass. All in all very happy with these bins.

Last edited:
I too own an 8.5x44 Kowa bought from EO as a demo model. I compared them to several optics, including (albeit instores) my favorite, the 8x42 SLC-HD. I'd say that the two were oh so very comparable, optically, with slightly better edges on the SLC. I'm not a fan of the SVs due to sensitivity to fully flat fields, but I'd say apparent central sharpness of the Kowa best that of the SVs, and rivals the SLCs (which I found a bit sharper in the central portion of the view).

Glad you enjoy your new binos as much as I!
Justin

I too own an 8.5x44 Kowa bought from EO as a demo model. I compared them to several optics, including (albeit instores) my favorite, the 8x42 SLC-HD. I'd say that the two were oh so very comparable, optically, with slightly better edges on the SLC. I'm not a fan of the SVs due to sensitivity to fully flat fields, but I'd say apparent central sharpness of the Kowa best that of the SVs, and rivals the SLCs (which I found a bit sharper in the central portion of the view).

Glad you enjoy your new binos as much as I!
Justin

Time for me to try out the SLC's!

Time for me to try out the SLC's!

They are exceptionally good binos, with probably the best apparent sharpness out there, though for me, the >$1000 difference in price was enough for me to shy away from them and instead pick up the Kowa. The ergonomics are probably the most notable difference between the two, with the true field of view being a little bit narrower as well. The actual view was, for me, quite hard to discern between the two.

Justin

They are exceptionally good binos, with probably the best apparent sharpness out there, though for me, the >$1000 difference in price was enough for me to shy away from them and instead pick up the Kowa. The ergonomics are probably the most notable difference between the two, with the true field of view being a little bit narrower as well. The actual view was, for me, quite hard to discern between the two.

Justin

We have a Bass Pro nearby plus a gun shop that carry these. I would not pay the xtra $ either, but would like to see them. The gun shop will let you walk outside to view them, a big plus.

I have had the 8.5 Kowas for about three months. I went to an Optics show to buy either the Conquest HD's or the Vortex Razor. The Kowa rep asked me to try his bins. It was a good day for this as it was cloudy with rare peeks of sun. Simply the Kowas destroyed the other two. I then tried the Zeiss and Swaro alphas and saw nothing that made me want to part with a thousand dollar let alone two over Eagle Optics demo prices. These are the sharpest I have tried with absolutely no CA that I can find (which I hate). I then bought a pair of 10.5's which are just as good or better and the weigth which people comment on makes them steadier. I am a hugh Kowa fan and though I am going to look at the new Zeiss SF's but I doubt I see enough difference to spend the money. This is my first post to BF so please excuse me if it seems a little awkward.

I have had the 8.5 Kowas for about three months. I went to an Optics show to buy either the Conquest HD's or the Vortex Razor. The Kowa rep asked me to try his bins. It was a good day for this as it was cloudy with rare peeks of sun. Simply the Kowas destroyed the other two. I then tried the Zeiss and Swaro alphas and saw nothing that made me want to part with a thousand dollar let alone two over Eagle Optics demo prices. These are the sharpest I have tried with absolutely no CA that I can find (which I hate). I then bought a pair of 10.5's which are just as good or better and the weigth which people comment on makes them steadier. I am a hugh Kowa fan and though I am going to look at the new Zeiss SF's but I doubt I see enough difference to spend the money. This is my first post to BF so please excuse me if it seems a little awkward.

Everything you said is true. If you wear glasses please tell me how the 10.5's do for you. I have held off getting them due to the 16mm eye relief.

Everything you said is true. If you wear glasses please tell me how the 10.5's do for you. I have held off getting them due to the 16mm eye relief.

Well I cant help with g;asses as I don't wear them but I have deep set eyes, I couldn't make the Conquest HD's in 8X42 work even with the new eye cups. but with the generous adjustment the Kowas eye cups provide I think you'll be fine.
Try a pair from Eagle Optics before their Demos are gone. Could be the best $729.00 you'll ever spend and they have a very good return policy if they don't work for you.
Steve Who is even more anxious for the shorebirds to return than I am for the new SF's

ER is a very much an individual thing and will depend on the design, prescription and facial features. The 10.5x44 was fine for me but I only need 15mm available ER. I would have thought that the height adjustment on your other binoculars would serve as a pretty good guide. It's not foolproof but generally if I take the manufacturers listed ER and subtract the amount I need to twist out the eyecups for optimal viewing then I usually get an answer of 15 or 16mm. What do you get?

I've tried the 8.5x44 several times and agree with all the positive comments posted here. However, I found the steadiness 10.5x even more appealing.

David

ER is a very much an individual thing and will depend on the design, prescription and facial features. The 10.5x44 was fine for me but I only need 15mm available ER. I would have thought that the height adjustment on your other binoculars would serve as a pretty good guide. It's not foolproof but generally if I take the manufacturers listed ER and subtract the amount I need to twist out the eyecups for optimal viewing then I usually get an answer of 15 or 16mm. What do you get?

I've tried the 8.5x44 several times and agree with all the positive comments posted here. However, I found the steadiness 10.5x even more appealing.

David

The 8.5's are just right for me when the eyecups are all the way down.

The 8.5's are just right for me when the eyecups are all the way down.

Perhaps if you tried twisting out the eyecups 2.3mm it would tell you what the ER on the 10.5x44 is like? If you can't see the full FOV then it might not be for you.

David

Perhaps if you tried twisting out the eyecups 2.3mm it would tell you what the ER on the 10.5x44 is like? If you can't see the full FOV then it might not be for you.

David

Correct, I have to push them hard against the face for them to work. I have a pair of 10x42 Conquest HD at 17mm that work if I press a bit. The 8.5's will do just fine.

We ordered the Genesis 10.5's this evening. Hoping the ER is good for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back