• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Razor HD grossly overpriced? (1 Viewer)

CG
Do you remember if they keep the SV, SLC, HT, FL, or any other top of the top glass on display? I have a Cabela's coming locally in the winter, and the local Gander Mountain has only one Alpha in house, but they picked a good one in the EL 10X42 SV.

Bruce

Bruce,

They do fairly well with Swaro product. I wasn't looking but noticed the EL on hand in 8x & 10x in 32mm, and another or two in 42mm. There was also a new version of the SLC HD on display as well as the new compact in both 8x and 10x. I recall an HT, 10x, back when they opened but haven't seen an HT lately. Never have seen the FL there. Found two Leica UV HD in the bargain cave 8x and 10x - but not at bargain prices; same for about half a dozen Swaros. Lots of 10x... some 8x... and, as always, no alphas in 7x.

Sounds like I need to go have a look when they open. Maybe I can find a restless young clerk to walk out in the lot with me and have a look like I did at Gander Mountain. :-O

Bruce

Bruce,

They do fairly well with Swaro product. I wasn't looking but noticed the EL on hand in 8x & 10x in 32mm, and another or two in 42mm. There was also a new version of the SLC HD on display as well as the new compact in both 8x and 10x. I recall an HT, 10x, back when they opened but haven't seen an HT lately. Never have seen the FL there. Found two Leica UV HD in the bargain cave 8x and 10x - but not at bargain prices; same for about half a dozen Swaros. Lots of 10x... some 8x... and, as always, no alphas in 7x.

I don't necessarily think the Razors are overpriced. They are one of the two on my short list when I decided to upgrade. I don't feel that the have the same feeling of quality as the Zeiss Conquest HD's and I had a lot of trouble with holding the 8's steady let alone the 10's. I think they are a little light and a little long to be really stable especially as the day wears on. I think that the optics are equal to the Conquest But it just doesn't have the same slid feel as the Zeiss or Swaro's or the Kowa Genesis that I wound up with. The Kowa's to explain are more solid and optically better than either the Razor or the Conquest and at three hndred less than the Zeiss and five hundred less that Razor it was a no brainier ( E.O. Demo pricing) . No brainier woks well for me,
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back