• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing colours differently through each eye? (1 Viewer)

thomasbarker81

Not really to do with optics but interesting none the less. Don’t know if anyone else experiences this but does anyone have a slight difference in the colours they see through each eye?

My eyes aren’t perfect and I wear glasses, each eye has a slightly different prescription but I also see colours differently. My left eye see colours much more saturated, greens look more lush, and blues are deeper and stronger, whereas my right eye is the stronger eye and sees colours that are a bit colder, on the whole less vibrant and lush.

Through my scope though it’s quite noticeable, with my normal vision guess it just gets averaged out.

Anyone else get this, can’t find much info online?

Tom

Not really to do with optics but interesting none the less. Don’t know if anyone else experiences this but does anyone have a slight difference in the colours they see through each eye?

My eyes aren’t perfect and I wear glasses, each eye has a slightly different prescription but I also see colours differently. My left eye see colours much more saturated, greens look more lush, and blues are deeper and stronger, whereas my right eye is the stronger eye and sees colours that are a bit colder, on the whole less vibrant and lush.

Through my scope though it’s quite noticeable, with my normal vision guess it just gets averaged out.

Tom

Hi Tom:

It has EVERYTHING to do with optics. Different Rxs can cause a slight difference in CA. However, over time, I have found that MOST people with that complaint are seeing the differences in the eye positioning at the EP. For example: A scope with uniform CA, may show a red-blue tinge on one side of the field and yellow-green on the other.

Just a thought.

Bill

Tom

Tom:

This is a somewhat common occurrence that was brought up last fall.

I found much the same when looking at the vivid fall colors with
the rich reds, yellows, etc.

It is not the binoculars, it is the eyes. I posted on this same thing back
on Oct. 13, 2013. "Visual acuity and color".

I would link but don't know how. Maybe someone else could.

Jerry

Tom

Tom,

Do you notice this only when you have your glasses on or also when they are off?

If the difference is always present, you could have a cataract forming in one eye. You don't to be a coot to get cataracts. Lots of exposure to the sun outdoors will create them although it might takes years before they impair your vision enough to be noticeable or even before your eye doctor mentions it. Cataracts can give the scene a faded or yellow tint:

cataracts/symptoms

Astigmatism can also cause colors to look less vibrant because of scattering, but if you wear glasses, they should correct the problem if your optometrist included astigmatism correction in your prescription.

Brock

I have congenital cataracts. I first noticed them when I was 36 in 1988, right after I bought my first expensive binoculars--Zeiss Dialyt 10x40s. They were so splendid, but I'd spent my family's entire discretionary income on them and so wanted to justify the cost in my head by putting them through every test I could think of. That's the first time I ever had looked through the two barrels independently except for quickly adjusting the diopter, and whoa! The image on one side was darker and browner than on the other side. I thought it might be the binoculars, but to test that I turned them upside down and looked through the opposite barrels. It was my eyes! I made an appointment with my eye doctor, and he said, "That's just your congenital cataracts." Huh? He'd never mentioned them before!

Now I'm even older, but no one wants to touch the cataracts yet--surgery is harder before the cataracts have reached a more advanced stage than mine are at yet. It's most pronounced through higher magnification, so really obvious through scopes, and more apparent through 10x than 8x than 6x.

One thing you can do to cut some haze from cataracts is to use a yellow 'sky' filter somewhere along
the line. Violet scatters a lot more than other colors.

Tom:

It is not the binoculars, it is the eyes. I posted on this same thing back
on Oct. 13, 2013. "Visual acuity and color".

I would link but don't know how. Maybe someone else could.

Jerry

Here it is .........

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=268806

The second post by Sancho in Jerry's thread has a link to another thread on the topic, and it has a link ...........

Last edited:
Hi All,
This has nothing to do with optics and nothing to do with cataracts! That's well off target and borderline scaremongering!!
My eyes have seen colours slightly differently all my life . I'm 43 now and noticed this when a small boy. One eye sees colours warm and the other cool. Not a major difference but noticeable, more so in sunlight.
Jason

Hi All,
This has nothing to do with optics and nothing to do with cataracts! That's well off target and borderline scaremongering!!
My eyes have seen colours slightly differently all my life . I'm 43 now and noticed this when a small boy. One eye sees colours warm and the other cool. Not a major difference but noticeable, more so in sunlight.
Jason

I'd have to agree with this in my case. I can see the difference in Autumn when the leaves are changing. The rest of the year they are both the same and I forget about it.

Bob

When I saw that colors were "less saturated", I instantly thought of scattering of some kind,
wheter it's cataracts or the vitreous fluid. With my wife's family, it's the vitreous.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back