• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vantablack is the new black (1 Viewer)

Very interesting. Something to justify a quantum leap in the prices of next generation Alpha optics.

Or, an opportunity to retrofit older models for Alpha performance? :smoke:

Ed

Ultra black coatings have been available for a few years. The latest I have read about absorb 99.6% of all visible light. It seems to me that any black that absorbs close to 99% visable light would result in a new level of performance in binoculars and telescopes, especially if it is applied to the edges of
The glass components as well as the interior of the tubes. Possibly, baffles might no be needed, but not sure about that.

Borjam,

I was just about to bring the Vantabalck for discussion. 99.6% light absorption is correct. Certainly a new innovation for many applications.

With transmission now so high and makers rediscovering suppression, why not!
Probably very expensive, but it can start out in the $2000 binoculars :)
Just having a nice flat 95% lampblack would be nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back