• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Bird Race

Could anyone advise if the mandarin ducks are still around hackness and if so where could we view them? Also is there an 'easy' spot for dipper up there?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Martin
We were at Hilla Green (by Bridge) on the 10th April for a couple of hours, usual Raptors from the road a bit plus Xbills, no sign of Mandarin there or Hackness, maybe the usual winter flock had disbanded allready for the breeding season, we walked both sides of the bridge a way with no Dipper, but a pair of Grey Wag, If yr so close I would't be put off, that is if you can spare the time? Good Luck!

Just curious .... is it better than when you found out you were going to be a dad?

Thankfully no avocets on the commute this morning but the house martins are back in Aberford.

I'll have to try there again when the bike's fixed, went up there last week to no avail. Though if they are at Aberford then maybe the Scholes birds have returned.

managed to find a couple of Ruff on Swinemoor this morning en route to work. Also a couple of sumplum Black-wits and singing Reed Warbler at my feet. My first Swifts of the year were flying around the south of the moor. A bit bizarre but managed my first Little Grebe of the year despite already managing 12+ Slav grebes. Year list kicks onto 164

Pec Sands at North Cave

Went to North Cave wetlands this evening and managed to see the Pectoral Sandpipers reported on birdguides. They were still on target lake showing well at 8pm.

Attachments

• Pec Sand-0004 resized.jpg
    Pec Sand-0004 resized.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 84
I suppose the quickest answer is, it's were the new hospital is going to be built! TA 051 409. It's between Beverley & Tickton, and you can access it from Tickton walking south along the river Hull, cross the stile near the factory, cross the drain & walk back along the drain bank back to Tickton. You can also access it from Beverely itself, but don't know exactly where. If you have a telescope I think you can also park in the entrance to Corporation Farm & view the waders from there. It does get a few interesting waders most springs. Last year there were Ruff, a Temminck's Stint, Whimbrel, Wood Sandpiper, etc. There's a Little Owl and Yellow Wagtail & Ring Ouzels are sometimes seen - definitely worth a look, and May can be a good time there.

Thanks, I'll have to try check it out sometime. However I'm limited to public transport (nightmare!) so Tickton entrance sounds tricky/ extra expense. Although I think I've got the rare treat of a Sunday off work soon so might treat myself to a few bus rides to Spurn.

I think this must be silly o'clock! Just about to set off for my special Dawn Chorus event - may get a roding Woodcock in addition to typical woodland species. So, it's off to work we go....

Last edited:
I think this must be silly o'clock! Just about to set off for my special Dawn Chorus event at a YWT reserve - may get a roding Woodcock in addition to typical woodland species. So, it's off to work we go....

Nice one Michael, decided to get up and see if I can find Wood Warbler on my patch.

Nice one Michael, decided to get up and see if I can find Wood Warbler on my patch.

I'm up as well at this time. Knocked my broken toe in bed and the pain woke me up! No birding for me unless it's a short walk. The sun has to come out as well beforehand as I'm in photography mode.

I wish I was up this time for some exciting birdwatching reason - but in actual fact I have a 2 year old daughter with an in built ability to wake up at ungodly hours

While I'm up, anybody know if the Garganey are still at Swinemoor ?

Bogey bird of mine, dipped 6 times last summer - want to rectify that this year

Mal Skelton

Unfortunately, no Wood Warbler for me, but great views of Cuckoo, Willow & Marsh Tit in same woodland, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Green & Great Spotted Woodpecker, oh, & a short Scottish singer, began to sing "Shout"! Pity Keith wasn't there

No Wood warbler for me either, last time I heard one up there was about 5 years ago so maybe they've disappeared from there, will try again in a few weeks time. Did get a patch tick of a Tawny and great views of female blackcap. Other than that lots of blackcap, whitethroat, willow warbler and chiffchaff singing.

Sorry to hear about the toe Steve, bloody stupid time of year to be doing things like that though.

Singers from last week.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no Wood Warbler for me, but great views of Cuckoo, Willow & Marsh Tit in same woodland, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Green & Great Spotted Woodpecker, oh, & a short Scottish singer, began to sing "Shout"! Pity Keith wasn't there

If Keith had been there you wouldn't have seen/heard it!

Thanks, I'll have to try check it out sometime. However I'm limited to public transport (nightmare!) so Tickton entrance sounds tricky/ extra expense. Although I think I've got the rare treat of a Sunday off work soon so might treat myself to a few bus rides to Spurn.

If you find out where the access route to Swinemoor is from Beverley on foot, you should be able to get the train/bus from Hull to Beverley & get in without a problem.

Jim, Do you ever feel vaguely hung over after your early morning starts? I haven't had any alcohol, but feel like I have! This happens every time I have a really early start, and puts me off doing it more often. :gn:

No Wood warbler for me either, last time I heard one up there was about 5 years ago so maybe they've disappeared from there, will try again in a few weeks time. Did get a patch tick of a Tawny and great views of female blackcap. Other than that lots of blackcap, whitethroat, willow warbler and chiffchaff singing.

Sorry to hear about the toe Steve, bloody stupid time of year to be doing things like that though.

Singers from last week.

Still got out and about. The railway embankment at Knaresborough Rugby club held Blackcap, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Cuckoo, and Bullfinch.

Brief call in at Otley Chevin this afty for Green Hairstreak - cold wind and lack of sun sealed my fate, but probably still a bit early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back